Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Have you checked your pack voltage?

it is at 42.6v

Good luck!

1 Like

What’s typical voltage for your pack? What cells are in it?

21700 p42a, typical should be 44.4v

So this is a 10s pack? 36v nominal but 44.4 max voltage? Or is it a 12s pack and 44.4 is the normal voltage?

If it is 10s it is likely just fully charged and the maz voltage is just reduced due to normal aging or possibly a little out of balance and one of the cell groups is maxed out and the bms is safety limiting charge current.

Take a second and go over this thread as it has a ton of useful info, otherwise you’ll keep giving everyone just less info than we need to help you fix your skate.

Not a dig, but seriously take a quick look as you keep not answering the questions with enough info and it is feeling kinda Sisyphean

1 Like

Just wondering, I just got myself a MBS Comp 95. And I was wondering do I have to use breaks that are official or are there cheaper alternatives to this

1 Like

Trying to get a VX4 working properly, battery is at ~49.4v (12s) and yet my remote continues to give me a battery warning and refuses to display a battery readout,
I just rechecked that my pin out is okay.
Vesc and remote are both set to 12s Li-ion, cutoffs are around 38v hard 40v soft.
Am I missing something perhaps?

Edit: ignore me my pin out was correct, I just suck at crimping male JST connectors. I soldered them and the problem is solved

1 Like

What is the best way to figure out which Bluetooth module (specifically the UART port pin readout/config.) will work with my ESC. I have a Maker DV4s on the way and I would like to order the right bluetooth module from Flipsky.
the more I look at this the more confused I am…

I might be dumb as shit…but even makers BT module doesn’t seem to fit…

1 Like

Is there a way to pin a thread to the top or is it just to save the link?

The only difference between the two up there is the wiring and connector size.

You’ll want to order the 4.12 one - you may have to re pin if the pinout doesn’t match the dv4s though. Also, the makerx one does work, it comes with a cable, ofc, to connect the male to males

1 Like

ok, can problems for me always
i made a can splice to wire up my 2 skp solo vescs with an ennoid xlite v3 and a megan but i always break shit. can anyone confirm my wiring, i am concerned about connecting all the 5v and gnd together as i don’t know which outputs are suppling voltage and which ones need voltage.

does this look correct, i have omitted the 5v and gnd aux from the second vesc because the interconnecting can cable is a 2pin input/output with a second 2pin 5v/gnd aux

Are you sure tho? It looks like the JST concetor from flipsky has 7 pins and there are 8 pins on the Maker DV4s

Been looking at getting a vesc controller for my store bought ebike (Jupiter Defiant, has 48V brushless hub motor) so I can have some customization over the settings. Specifically been looking at this one: Makerbase VESC 75100 V2

What I’m worried about is setting it up with my ebike. I’ve taken apart my bike and the wiring should be no issue, but I don’t know the parameters of my motor or if it is geared or not. I know that it uses hall sensors and the voltage of the current controller is 48v with 20A and 40V shutoff, but I don’t know the number of poles or anything like that. What do I need to know to get it set up in the Vesc software? I’ve seen the Vesc software has an autodetect parameters thing but does that work for geared motors?

I don’t mind having to open up the motor, but I just want to make sure that I know what I need to for when I get the Vesc. Also if someone knows of any detailed instructions of getting a Vesc controller setup for an ebike that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The pin out is the same, the tx/rx are flipped though. If yours are backwards. Remote won’t work, really easy to trial/error

2 Likes

Like I said… The only difference is connector size and pins

Order the one that is the correct amount of pins

1 Like

You can put 7 pin in the 8 pin hole, just make sure it is aligned to the correct side (5v to 5v)

3 Likes

Can i spray paint the top plate of my uBox with any paint, or do i need high temp or some other specific paint cause esc, or should i just leave it?

Looking at bioX and want to do something similar with my own.

2 Likes

Should be fine as long as you don’t paint anything but the plate (take it off). You’ll lose all the silk screen so don’t plug something in wrong later :laughing: even painted most heat sinks do fine and if it gets hot enough to overheat the top plate something else is drastically wrong

2 Likes