Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Got a set of MBS rockstar pro 2 I’m setting up for my next project and they don’t run true? I checked the bearings and spacers to make sure they have seated fully and they seem to be good. It’s not just one it’s all of them so maybe I’m doing something wrong. None of my other hubs are out

User error or something I need to take up with mbs? I can see the chamfer around the bearing seat isn’t symmetrical so maybe it’s a bad batch? This is the first set of aluminum hubs I’ve gotten but my evolve hubs run true and these vibrate just from hand spinning. It’s hard to see but it is out enough that I can feel it

Hard to see with my crappy camera work with black on black. Edited to add this one

The rockstar 2 pros have specific positions they run true in.

You need to “turn” the two halves and spin them in each rotation to find the mated site.

Joel did a Video showcasing it.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP0etK7TfkB9-i7epPI8EYRw3Ru5RNoSx6jBaqyzaly9FR0aUgXxRtn-6U0ioKvdA/photo/AF1QipPm_UnXLcS6teId4I7Aq-OxcvTtF4nmb2w5A6R4?key=UTM0M1I0WUJfMDVGTW9ON2NINUt2MFJqZjl3TEpn

5 Likes

Did you try it on any other wheel axles? I have a set of Pro 2’s and a set of Pro 2 XL’s and both are very straight. Definitely wouldn’t rule out a bad batch - in that case I’m sure @MBS would take care of you :+1:t2:

1 Like

That kinda makes sense, glad I didn’t balance them before I noticed and asked. I’ll give this a shot and see if that corrects it

2 Likes

How right are the bearing seats? Is it possible you installed them slightly crooked?

Pros/cons between a 14S4P vs 18S3P (p45b) battery? Still trying to wrap my head around how all the electrical components work with eachother and honestly how batteries even function. Playing around with The Ultimate esk8 calculator it looks like for both these configurations have the same range (watt hours) but the top speed is drastically higher for the 18S due to the higher voltage and thus power.

What are the drawbacks of going 18S3P if my ESC (MakerX D100s) can handle it? I feel like having that extra power in your back pocket is a no brainer.

It was just the rotational symmetry, just finished and they are all running true now

3 Likes

Drawbacks? none really.

Total wattage (power) will be similar between setups. If you gear them for the same speed, you’ll be less likely to overheat motors on the 18s setup. Go 18s and don’t think twice.

Very important. Otherwise, the 18s one will get hot very very fast lol

A little confused on this point. You’re saying if I gear both set ups for a max speed of 35mph, the 18S will stay cooler?

2 Likes

(170 Kv 6384 btw)

So i should gear the 18s setup for a max speed of around 35 mph

Gear both for whatever top speed you want. 140kv is a better choice on 18s. 170kv is fine too. I’m currently running 18s with 173kv on my Croix with 5.5 gears for 40mph top speed.

3 Likes

If that’s the speed you want, yeah. You’ll need a pretty big gear ratio and the right size tires for that though

I’d usually recommend gearing for 5-7mph over what you think you’ll usually ride at

3 Likes

3d printer.

Edit: fancy 3d printer. I roll on printed hubs and pulleys for stockish level power use.

1 Like

so, please don’t laugh at me to hard- but I fucking broke one of my motors. While setting up the motors with vesc-tool I wasn’t sure how many poles they had because Meepo doesn’t report it on the store page for them (Motor for Voyager I had just ripped the whole drivetrain from my fucked up voyager) I used some neodymium magnets I had laying around to try finding the poles but I seem to have fucked it up despite them being really tiny neodymium magnets so RIP I guess. That motor now kinda shudders and doesn’t really respond correctly.
I guess I could reasonably just get the flipsky 6355 motors and call it a day but at that point like- y’know my birthday’s in a week and I’m not expecting anything that’s gonna make me feel too great from my kinda-sorta estranged family so I may as well do something nice for myself and just do a full gear drive like I was planning, what are the best options for that? I was curious about the Exway gear drivetrain but I wouldn’t be able to ever put street wheels on it and it doesn’t seem to have a sensor cable (?) so that’s no good, I kinda like the look of the Omni geardrive because it’s helical which people say is nice and quiet (would probably be nice as I tend to be in residential areas late at night fairly often) but it’s got a POM gear in it which a lot of people don’t seem to trust too well, however good POM is.

Are you sure you broke your motor? Sounds like some vesc fuckery that’s making it shudder

3 Likes

Hello, can anybody help me? I just inherited a 2019 lacroix Lonestar . It had no remote, so I ordered a Hoyt puck and receiver. I installed the receiver into my.unity focbox. Does anybody know how I configure the new remote into my focbox. Also, how do I figure out what firmware it is using

1 Like

I’m pretty certain. The one I didn’t fuck around with is working just fine, if I switch the sides of the vesc they’re plugged into and recalibrate the motors it suffers the same issue so I definitely fudged it. Was literally working fine before, lmao. gahhhhhhHHHH

14 poles / 7 pole pairs for future reference. That’s the same for any 63xx size esk8 motor.

Alternatively,

4 Likes