Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Heya- not too familiar with vesc stuff but I got everything setup in vesctool and the remote and motors work! That being said, I don’t get any speed readings :thinking: (or anything in the dial/dashboard UI in vesctool). Google hasn’t been very helpful on this but I might just be kinda stupid. Anyone know what I might be getting wrong?

1 Like

u need to enable the RT data button

ahah. (After trying to solder on several connectors to the battery and getting a working very jank solder job with a xt90 I got really paranoid last night about it and cut the connection before I went to bed, just gonna solder it straight to the cables coming off the flipsky antispark tbh but I’ll check that in a bit :+1:)

1 Like

Can i use a 170kv motor with a 14S (58V max voltage) battery? Looking over the Esk8 IQ post, the formula for the max motor Kv is 8600/max voltage (58.8)= 146Kv but i regularly see builds with higher kv motors with similar voltage. Im assuming theres more that goes into it than just those 2 values. Can anyone explain this to me in monkey terms? (Or regular terms)

For reference im using the makerx d100s vesc.

I’m using 173kv on 14S battery on a D100S. They work great.

1 Like

I commend you for actually reading up on some stuff! Plenty of people don’t!

That article is quite dated by now and figures the equation you are referencing on an ERPM of only 60k erpm.

Many/most controllers these days are capable of more than double that value, with v6 controllers supposedly capable of up to 150k erpm. Check out this more recent thread about escs

I’m too dumb/lazy to try and reconfigure that max erpm equation, but if you aimed for a max erpm of about 120k, you’d be within the limits of most, if not all v6 vesc controllers

2 Likes

Is there any reason that I shouldn’t hook up 5v and ground from both vescs when doing split ppm? I’m trying to run 4wd but whenever I plug in the pwm pin to both, they both stutter super hard and I’m thinking that there isn’t enough current to get the signal to both vescs.

Does anyone know how many pole pairs the raptor 2.1 hub motors have?

1 Like

I tried shorting two phase cables and I counted about 18 poles, but the motor is to weak to get an accurate feel.

Got a set of MBS rockstar pro 2 I’m setting up for my next project and they don’t run true? I checked the bearings and spacers to make sure they have seated fully and they seem to be good. It’s not just one it’s all of them so maybe I’m doing something wrong. None of my other hubs are out

User error or something I need to take up with mbs? I can see the chamfer around the bearing seat isn’t symmetrical so maybe it’s a bad batch? This is the first set of aluminum hubs I’ve gotten but my evolve hubs run true and these vibrate just from hand spinning. It’s hard to see but it is out enough that I can feel it

Hard to see with my crappy camera work with black on black. Edited to add this one

The rockstar 2 pros have specific positions they run true in.

You need to “turn” the two halves and spin them in each rotation to find the mated site.

Joel did a Video showcasing it.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP0etK7TfkB9-i7epPI8EYRw3Ru5RNoSx6jBaqyzaly9FR0aUgXxRtn-6U0ioKvdA/photo/AF1QipPm_UnXLcS6teId4I7Aq-OxcvTtF4nmb2w5A6R4?key=UTM0M1I0WUJfMDVGTW9ON2NINUt2MFJqZjl3TEpn

5 Likes

Did you try it on any other wheel axles? I have a set of Pro 2’s and a set of Pro 2 XL’s and both are very straight. Definitely wouldn’t rule out a bad batch - in that case I’m sure @MBS would take care of you :+1:t2:

1 Like

That kinda makes sense, glad I didn’t balance them before I noticed and asked. I’ll give this a shot and see if that corrects it

2 Likes

How right are the bearing seats? Is it possible you installed them slightly crooked?

Pros/cons between a 14S4P vs 18S3P (p45b) battery? Still trying to wrap my head around how all the electrical components work with eachother and honestly how batteries even function. Playing around with The Ultimate esk8 calculator it looks like for both these configurations have the same range (watt hours) but the top speed is drastically higher for the 18S due to the higher voltage and thus power.

What are the drawbacks of going 18S3P if my ESC (MakerX D100s) can handle it? I feel like having that extra power in your back pocket is a no brainer.

It was just the rotational symmetry, just finished and they are all running true now

3 Likes

Drawbacks? none really.

Total wattage (power) will be similar between setups. If you gear them for the same speed, you’ll be less likely to overheat motors on the 18s setup. Go 18s and don’t think twice.

Very important. Otherwise, the 18s one will get hot very very fast lol

A little confused on this point. You’re saying if I gear both set ups for a max speed of 35mph, the 18S will stay cooler?

2 Likes

(170 Kv 6384 btw)