Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Back to ordering then… doh!

Idler pulley options:
The question is: are idler pulleys something you prefer to use if you can, prefer to avoid if you can, or are there really no advantages/disadvantages at all?

I’ve just re-worked my drivetrain after getting new trucks. I wasn’t exactly sure what belt size I would need but I knew the neighborhood so I ordered 480mm, 470mm, and 460mm. After some experimentation I’ve found I can run 480s using two idlers, 470s using one, or the 460s straight with no idler pulleys at all. Does it matter? Aside from maybe increased belt wear due to contact with the pulleys, I can’t think of a compelling reason to choose one over the other. Does anyone have an informed opinion on this?

I’d try running without and only add them if you need them.

Idlers will reduce your freeroll and even your efficiency by a small amount.

If you can survive without them, thats great.

3 Likes

I would likely dream up a far more convoluted setup. But what you are proposing seems fine. If its going into a top box, then yes, thats probably exactly what i would do.

Be careful with those purchased series/parallel connectors tho, some of them are terrible quality.

3 Likes

I need the check if I have any rods in stock, if i do it would be raw aluminum.

I did this with two NESE packs totaling 12s5p (12s2p + 12s3p). I run them individually sometimes for lighter weight. Let me know if you have any questions

I charge each individually and never ever ever join them electrically unless both are fully charged.

3 Likes

Even better, I like that look.

What temperature did you reach? Loctite doesn’t care about time of heating, only the maximum temperature. Loctite 271, for example, must reach 500F (260C) to be removed. The whole loctited area has to be at least that hot, or it probably won’t come loose.

Depending on the size of the part and the torch you’re using, 30 seconds may just not be enough.

5 Likes

its a screw holding the motor to the mount
propane torch
part was to hot to touch but i cant accurately tell you the temp
however hard i try it just wont come loose

1 Like

im with you, bro.
Have the same problem on my Landwheel hubs. thats so annoying.
if the screws are hex you could sacrifice on old allen key, sticked in the screw and heat up the allen key with a torch. Thats what i will try next.
when the allen key glows take it away with a tongs and try a new allen key to get this fucking shit finnaly off :smiley:
I wish you luck-wish me luck!

2 Likes

The hex head was dead so cut a flat slot
Possible could do it but I don’t think heat is the issue
It’s very possibly cross threaded or something

2 Likes

Hello. Noob here.
So, You know why my stormcore rgb power button is always on green?
I wanna fix that before i put my board together for this season. If anyone had the same issue pls tell if you got it fixed.

2 Likes

Is your voltage set correctly in vesc tool?

3 Likes

Yes. :slight_smile:
It was still green down to 32-33 volts. (10s4p 40t3)

3 Likes

Thats all i got :rofl:

3 Likes

does urs do the rainbow cycle when u power on the ecs?

2 Likes

change your batter series count
its not set correctly clearly

motor config → additional info

4 Likes

I don’t remember. I will check when i put all things back together.

1 Like

I will double check! Thanks. It is probably my settings that were off when i think about it.

1 Like

Literally tried everything now
That bolt must be fused in there or something
It’s impossible to get out
Anyway to just completely remove the bolt head so I can remove the piece attached to it

1 Like