Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Metr is best. accept no fewer features.

1 Like

You guys got any?

Haha nah.

You can order metr direct from @rpasichnyk

Robogotchi is vaporware. @jaykup is making a batch of them, but unsure of his plans to sell.

3 Likes

Sweet, yeah the metr can is just what I’m looking for

It has been raining a lot lately and I’m wondering…

Everything else on the board aside how wet can you get your motors without issue?

@b264

2 Likes

Depends on some things.

BLDC motors are waterproof****

* if you aren’t using sensors
* it will shorten the bearing life drastically to get them wet
* changing the bearings requires motor disassembly
* brine or saltwater accelerates bearing wear about 100x more than fresh water does in my experience, which is already like 100x more than using them dry. So brine wears your bearings out 10000x faster than dry use in my experience. Dry bearings generally don’t wear out on an esk8 in normal circumstances for me.

I run them all the time in the rain or on rain-soaked streets. Main thing is don’t use sensors. And if you hit brine, hose the skate off immediately upon arrival, don’t even wait 5 minutes. Spray the hose inside the motor while you spin it. Then put the skate away. This helps so much. Those that live in places where the streets get treated for snow might need to worry about this.

If you’re using the sensors, don’t do it. Unless you potted your sensors or trust a manufacturer that claims they did, but even then sensors also have your 5V rail in your ESC exposed. If that gets shorted out, it also brings down your whole ESC.

2 Likes

It isn’t that we might need to worry about it but that we need to worry about it. I am 99% sure that the salted roads greatly accelerated the rust inside my hub motors which are sealed against the elements. Can water still get into them? probably, but you’d be getting a few drops at worst and they can even run when over half submerged if not more. They have sensors and the pcb for the sensors only has some silicone slapped on a few places Last time I got stuck in a sudden downpour and flooded streets I didn’t’ exactly want to stop to see how far up the water was on the motors. It was at least 2 inches of water on the street though.

Also another thing that points to minimal water ingress is that the bearings were in good shape. All they really needed was to get the old dirty grease cleaned out and replaced. But mainly it is just if a large amount of water got in the sensors would have gotten fried.

Oh and I never really took the motors apart in the winter, so all the salt built up in them. I couldn’t get them apart for a good year and half or so because they were really stuck on there and I couldn’t find a tool that would allow me enough leverage to get the bolts off of one side.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m now 99% sure that road salt killed my Flipsky BH motor and shorted my ESC with the 5v on the sensor lines.

Essentially, salt killed myVESC and motor.

1 Like

Rehabbed a couple of 6354 motors that were pretty beat up, but free to me… Replaced all the bearings, used some compressed air on the windings and cleaned out the can the best I could. Ran motor detection a few times and got similar results each time. They’re definitely worse for wear, but do I need to worry at all? Motor R MΩ on the first motor seems pretty high.

1 Like

It’s milliohms, not megaohms. But yeah, the sensorless motor looks a bit high for that. What motors are they? Are they both the same make and model?

Are the solder joints good and the connectors to the ESC solid?

1 Like

Can you measure the resistance of each phase manually, to see if one is out of whack? The fact that the inductance is also off the mark seems weird.

Yes, both are bkb 6354s, but honestly beat up pretty bad… The windings were filthy and not much better after my spray can of air tried to clean it. But now thar I think about it, I actually didn’t cut down the phase wire to expose new wire to solder to the connector… Which I did do on the second motor… I’ll try that tonight.

Oh man, I know I’ve done this before, but I’d have to figure it again… What am I looking for?

You’re looking for all of the phase resistances to be equal. If there’s a small short or otherwise altered connection somewhere i feel like that might explain why the inductance changed.

1 Like

You can also try a BLDC hand test and if anything is off, there are other things listed there to go more in depth

1 Like

Things got worse after I clipped the old connection and soldered on fresh wire into the connector… :sob: I appreciate the help but these motors were free, trash from the start… I was hoping to use them both on a trike build later this summer, but oh well…

Switch which side the motors are connected it, and see if the odd readings switch sides.

2 Likes

Anyone ever get this error:

Trying to get RT data on the desktop tool, but I hit that.

I’m about to order a davega x, and I was wondering the difference between the 7 and 8 pin connector?

My guess is how many pins your JST communications connector has on your VESC. Some have 7, some have 8.

3 Likes