Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Does it have to be red or would the blue stuff be strong enough if I add too much of it? :thinking:

I can just run to the store if I need the red though

Edit: If I’m understanding their horrible units correctly I think the difference in strength is very significant

Really wish they would have used the SI for torque so it would be easier to understand, but I have no time to convert if I want to buy it before it gets dark because I need a shower first.

I would suggest red for sure, if you have a tap and an air compressor it doesn’t hurt to clean it out but if you can thread it dry it’ll be fine, I used an Allen wrench on one side and an impact on the other so they are the same tightness but make sure tonot overdo it

You’re gonna wanna use red 271 for axles for sure. If there is anything you don’t want vibrating loose it’s those

You guys were both just like 2 or 3 minutes late :rofl: Left to go buy some 271 just before your comments.

You are greatly over estimating my strength :rofl: I’ve got a hex bit for a screw driver, a weak ass black and decker drill, and then some vice grips if I want more leverage. I don’t think it is possible to make it too tight with those tools and my weak shoulders.

If I can’t get it in far enough I can probably get my landlord to do it for me, but I don’t want to bother him if I can do it myself.

1 Like

Don’t forget your biggest strength… the love and support of internet esk8 randoms!

2 Likes

Yes :slight_smile:

LoL the numbers are a lot more helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve been using epoxy for years on Boardnamics axles and never been disappointed. Clean the holes out really well with cotton swabs and isopropanol, wipe the axles with isopropanol, and put TINY dabs of epoxy on the smaller threads and screw them all the way in. Wipe any extra epoxy off with paper towels. Don’t get any epoxy on the bigger threads.

Of course you can also use <missing number> Loctite if you want to :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I just went out and bought some 271 loctite. I have plans to strip these hangers and paint them in the future and it would be nice to be able to remove the axles to make soaking them in acetone easier, so epoxy would not work well.

I do like having the axles on during spray painting though since I can use plastic trays to prop up the hanger so I can paint both sides at the same time. They get tapped off during the painting

The new hangers are already very clean btw :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Even if they got all the chips cleaned out, there still could be coolant or lubricant residue.

But if you’re using Loctite 271, I don’t think that matters as much as if you used epoxy.

1 Like

This is how dirty a q top got after cleaning all three of the remaining axle holes. I’d say it would have been fine to put some epoxy in there without cleaning it first tbh.

I didn’t clean the first one and it is already set in place but it should be fine :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Wow, he’s right, those are A LOT cleaner then they’ve been before.

Before they’d come out black and with metal chips and by the second swab (of each hole) they’d be clean

1 Like

@Boardnamics is now confirmed to have clean holes :rofl:

That was with me soaking it in more iso alcohol before cleaning the next hole too and then spinning it around once at the threaded bits. I don’t think there is anything else I could reasonably do to try to clean them with how clean they already are.

3 Likes

Ultrasonic cleaner :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Since I don’t own an ultrasonic cleaner and do not know anyone with one, I’d say that is unreasonable.

1 Like

I’m sure any jeweler would do it for you and probably overcharge the fuck out of you. And then end up telling you that those hangers didn’t fit in their machine anyway :laughing:

And then when you get home you realize they switched out one of your axles for a cheaper axle that looks similar

Super handy thing to have. I’ve wanted one for years but never splashed the cash

A cheap alternative is to use a large bin and a and held massager/ vibrator held against it or taped against it. Not as effective but if you get one strong enough that can run while plugged in it will still do a lot of work for you. Also it would be a vibration cleaner rather than an ultrasonic cleaner but they both do the same thing at the end of the day :person_shrugging:

Just it would 100% look weird to anyone who saw the contraption without context :rofl:

Here is an example of someone using a similar method but directly on a snake:

I gave up on looking for a video that more directly shows what I meant on youtube :person_shrugging:

Older vape shops might have ultrasonic cleaners. Very good for old rebuildable atomizers

Currently trying to convince work that one of theirs is broken and I should take it home :wink:

Just snip part of the power cable and then you’re good. I am not responsible for any damage you do though