Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

What are people thoughts on these MakerX 6354 motors? seem like the old flipsky ones before they battle-hardened them

i know bugger all about what makes a good motor tbh, so any motor scientists feel free to chime in :+1:

Do it :smiling_imp:

What happens if I keep increasing my max motor amps setting in VESC? Is the temperature of the mosfets the only danger? What about motors, if they’re bellow a dangerous temp can max motor amps be further increased?

Make sure fault timeout is around 85ms (instead of the default 500ms) so if it cuts out, you probably won’t loose your balance and topple.

1 Like

Why does the switching on an antispark blow up the gates but the gates on the phase drivers are fine even though they have so much more abuse?

Because it’s not acting as an inrush limiter. It’s turning on to full blast instantaneously.

3 Likes

Hi, I am looking to buy two VESCs to link with two 6355 4kW motors (77 amp max? not sure), and maybe in the future upgrade to 6384 5kW (75 amp max?), and link the VESCs with a can bus connector. What VESCs would you recommend? I’m interested in them being resilient and I want to have confidence they won’t just break on me and break my neck lol.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I had no idea glue lined shrink existed

1 Like

It’s pretty good. Can be a pain to remove, but not extreme

2 Likes

Do stock hypertrucks have 10mm or 12mm axles?

How the hell do I order from Fogstar?

I’ve just received an invoice for 50x Samsung 40T cells and 3x 20 packs of 21700 insulator rings for £200.40

Do I just do a bank transfer to the account details attached? How will they confirm I’ve paid?

never

1 Like

What is likely to be the most reliable option…

4wd dual DV6 connected via CAN with one remote/receiver

Or

4wd dual DV6 with split PPM from remote reciever going to both ESCs.

In both cases the cable will need to be about 44 inches.

Thanks all.

1 Like

What do you mean

It offers no buyer protection

1 Like

There is a small discussion here that’s probably worth reading

I would 100% go with CAN. Having the ability to use a single bluetooth module for all 4 escs would be the main reason for me.

5 Likes

Yes that is cost effective for sure. After reading through that thread it seems a lot of people go split PPM. Last time i did CAN with 4wd on DV6s it worked fine though so will likely do it again.

1 Like

¿Por qué no los dos?

You can actually do that while using PWM control if you want to.

Just saying it’s an option.

So are you saying to still have the ESCs connected over CAN and use split PWM control?

2 Likes

yes. I do this currently on my build, but on a smaller scale with only 2 ESCs over CAN and PWM split to both.

it provides sort of a “failover” for if one input has an issue the other one is there to still be connected.

could even go a step further and have 2 receivers connected to the one remote in case a receiver goes.

this is a case where I think redundancy has a place.

1 Like