Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

That is unfortunate :sweat_smile:

I’ve had way too many frustrating failures with that type of clamping system. 2 piece clamps are the only way IMO.

1 Like

Does anyone know where can I get these 30º baseplates?

No idea about those, but you can get 20 degree caliber baseplates from @Tony_Stark

2 Likes

Update to 1.1 and have disconnection issues :unamused:
About 1.5 to 2 meters far from the board it disconnects.
Any help will be appreciated

1 Like

Perhaps it could be possible because the receiver is on the side of the enclosure?

Don’t mount them at all. Get some better mounts.

Even if you get them mounted, they will likely fail in short order.

That being said,

1 Like

Looks like good positioning to me.
Worth checking with flipsky?

1 Like

Thanks I saw your post about it and tried it, also didn’t do the job. I’m going to order some bn184 hangers, mounts and laser cut plates

1 Like

Those will work wonderfully.

1 Like

So switched on my board and hubs were just stuttering slowly and not spinning when I pressed the remote.

I’ve reset firmware on my Stomcore esc and when I run motor detection wheels spin like you would expect but when you check the direction immediately afterwards both wheels don’t spin just stutter a little.

Getting it started by hand doesn’t help and the detection wizard does detect the hall sensors.

I was going to unplug sensors and try again. Any other tips on what to look out for in this scenario? Or are there any settings or diagnosis steps I can take?

Thanks

try detection again, sometimes it just messes up, sometimes you have to try a couple times to get it right

1 Like

Make sure your sensors are plugged in to the same side as your phases

1 Like

I think this was it! I am still surprised as I am sure i had it working before and maybe when trying to resolve the issue I got them the wrong way round. Is there any issue with having the sensor cables tied together in the enclosure, like could you get interference having them all bundled together too tight?

Not too sure about that one. I’ve not personally had an issue, but I run the majority of my personal boards sensorless so not a great deal of experience there.

1 Like

no sensors is king

1 Like

The VX2 remote sees to always default in VESC Remote settings to Control Type Off with my Stormcore. Should I be setting this to Current or Current Bi-directional?

Or current no reverse

Sorry for all the questions but getting frustrated with this mod.

Just to recap I’ve swapped the shitty lingyi esc in my Bustin Sportster with a Stormcore 60D+.

Based on my charger voltage and it being advertised as 270wh Samsung battery I’ve deduced it’s a 10s3p and likely Samsung 25R cells and used that to estimate my battery current max at 30amps per side and -15amps for Regen.

After having some problems with sensors I’ve decided to try sensorless for now.

I can’t seem to get my brakes to bring the board to a complete stop on even a gradual decline. I’ve tweaked the motor brake setting a few times and can’t feel any difference so wondering if it’s my app settings.

Here’s the motor current settings:

That’s normal for regen braking, the braking torque falls off asymptotically as you approach zero RPM. To actually “lock” the wheels on an incline you need to be actually injecting power into your motors to counteract the torque. The easiest way to do this is to use one of the control modes with reverse (either smart reverse, bidirectional, or plain “current”).

Low speed braking (or no speed braking) is definitely one of the areas where having sensors is beneficial. HFI works too. The controller has trouble knowing the rotor position at low speed without sensors.

2 Likes

Thankyou, I’ll try and get the sensors working. I was getting one intermittently being a problem, may be wiring or cables getting caught in the enclosure.

I will try smart reverse too as well as those other control settings.

Do those Regen and motor brake settings look ok? The motor ones are the defaults after running detection