Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

then take a shit to lose that last few extra grams

and ride naked

2 Likes

What if you were carrying a water bottle?

2 Likes

Clench

3 Likes

I try to ride without liquids as the forces generated create a lot of gyroscope-like drag

1 Like

Take a shit while launching the board off the line for a marginal boost

1 Like

like this?

3 Likes

Im 6ft 2 and stacked…

My ratio is 1:7… its a heat issue.

What’s your total rider weight? Can you cut down on grams anywhere?

Thanks a lot AC for taking the time to share your knowledge. It sounds like I should just buy a better esc. Can you reccomend a decent one for just one brushless 350 watt motor and a 36v battery?

Personally, I’d look for a second hand ESC to save some money. The esk8 subreddit would be a better way to get a second hand ESC but you could also pay more and get one of the many single motor VESC. I can’t give any recommendations there though as I’m more familiar with just ESCs.

That sounds about right. I’ve had it in my garage for a few years.

Awesome. Thanks!

Would you recommend a better remote as well?

He’s a pretty good scatboarder :laughing:

2 Likes

For ESCs you don’t really get the choice of what remote you use. It’s more of buy the ESC that uses the remote you like. Some can work with multiple remotes but those are the exception.

For VESC remotes I cant help since I havent used the one I have yet :sweat_smile: I am still building my VESC enclosure

Not really, almost any hobby ESC has a port or connection for PWM remotes.

RC people have been doing this far longer than esk8 has existed…

For example Moe Stooge uses RC ESCs and a PWM remote, no VESC in sight.

Vesc-specific remotes are strictly the UART type that communicates additional data.

Unfortunately 300lbs…

So, stormcores have 2 sets of mounting holes. 2 through holes on the sides, and then 4 threaded holes on the bottom. I feel like I see most heatsinks for stormcores use the 4 bottom holes instead of the side ones. Is there a performace related reason for that or is it a preference for a manufacturing related reason.

The LingYi ones don’t have any ports available for 3rd party remote receivers unfortunately. Other LingYi remotes will work with other LingYi ESCs but not without issues. For example, there will be a large delay between the remote and ESC as well as “phantom” inputs like the throttle staying on ever so slightly even when the throttle isn’t being touched on the remote and the remote has no issues with the ESC it was sold with.

No idea about the HobbyWing ESCs or any other brand of ESCs though. Maybe those do allow other remotes to be used

1 Like

I tapped my heatsink to use the outer holes on the SC. 4 is better but 2 seems fine. My thermals are waaaay better now with a good thermal paste

1 Like