Before PEVs can proliferate as alternative transpo, we must commit to prosecuting theft.

There is a tendency for officials to view pevs as toys. Far from viewing thiefs as horse thiefs, they are viewed as simply a nuisance. Little resources are afforded these tasks in the police world.

What is needed is draconian penalties on those found, AND FIND THEM. Many of us would use electric bikes to do our shopping etc, if we didn’t sweat EVERY time we lock our pride and joy up. This is not an extravagant expense if less crowded roads, and less pollution is truly our goal. This will require teaching our populations to honor these forms of transpo, and to involve all of us in fighting the thieves.

Unfortunately, there are political factions dedicated to thwart any and all things green, as evil, or unnecessary. If the dutch society, with its vast bike infrastructure and safety is evil, I say to go on with our bad selves.

I feel that my life is at risk, at EVERY light, on my board, waiting for the light to change while the person in the right lane wants to turn. While I understand that this is mostly CALIF, it is emblematic of the intolerance of all things green.

Businesses must involve themselves, with bike racks that are prominent and under constant view. Perhaps we also should have gov non profit insurance available for those green commuters. Which would draft us all in watching out for theft. To limit those gov costs.

As it stands, my full sus ebike is USELESS to go anywhere and DO anything. Sure I can use it for exercise, but most businesses, and even grocers, disallow me to walk my bike thru the store. Of course they will use the excuse that they are not insured against damage to persons or property by such a contraption, ignoring the huge heavy basket careening around the aisles.

Truth be told, I would turn in my board in a minute, for my ebike, if it was convenient and safe to operate. Unfortunately, universal health care is one of those things. As a crash could be life changing.

It is time for humans to start to act responsibly, and make the SMALL sacrifices that are necessary to improve our cultures and societies. God knows the sacrifices that were made, to institute automobiles as the ONLY game in town. HUGE sums have gone into parking, maintenance and safety for our cars. PEVs not so much. It is going to be up to the KIDS, the ones ridiculed for their proclivity for shunning the expense of a car. The ones that seek a life balance that was considered slacker by us relics. And we early adopters must become more militant in our shove towards respect and tolerance.

There is no one but ourselves to blame, and no one but ourselves to depend on. And we are already far behind. Last but not least we need repair infrastructure, as sending our PEV back to china is a no go, and the pace of mfgs to do warranty work or paid repairs is glacial.

Till then, our transpo are toys, and fun, not life changing.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Chatgpt TLDR:

The author expresses frustration with the perception of Personal Electric Vehicles (PEVs) as toys and advocates for stricter penalties for thieves. They emphasize the need for societal support, business involvement, and government initiatives to promote green commuting. The lack of infrastructure, insurance options, and safety concerns, particularly in California, hinder the practical use of electric bikes. The author calls for responsibility and sacrifice to improve the acceptance and infrastructure for PEVs, highlighting the role of younger generations in driving change. They also note the need for better repair infrastructure to address issues without relying on overseas support.

11 Likes

Every survey conducted by every DOT ever has found that the primary factor preventing adoption of micromobility is the fear of getting run over by a car. The biggest thing we need is safe and useful infrastructure for people to use alternative modes of transportation on. NYC has gained a huge number of micromobility riders, and it came from building bike lanes everywhere instead of expanding the prison population. Amsterdam is a cliche for bike transport, but that only came after a massive anti-car street safety overhaul.

The fact that bike thieves aren’t taken seriously is a symptom of bike transport not being taken seriously, not the cause of it. You’re trying to solve a legitimate problem, but in the wrong order. Please return your legal policies to the War On Drugs that you got them from.

10 Likes

So what you’re saying is, thieves should have their hands cut off right?

Look @b264, i found you a friend

1 Like

STFU, fascist pig.

iM SURE IF YOU CAUGHT SOMEONE STEALING YOUR BOARD, YOU WOULD GIVE THEM A BIG SMOOCH, AMIRITE?

sO, IN OTHER WORDS, HAVE NO RECORD that travels to other counties or states? Just let ebikes be toys, and never have decent other options for transpo?

Tough first day on the Internet eh?

I keep my shit locked up :man_shrugging: ezpz

Show me your lock? It is not worth a shit compared to a battery powered grinder.

[quote=“Skatebored, post:11, topic:80481”]
Show me your sounds like something a bike theif would say :thinking:

That yall focus on the crime enforcement aspects alone, reminds me of FREEDOM shouting insurrectionists.

A nd just so you understand, I am on disability, with a fixed income, as MANY that depend on PEVs are. You kids sound like you will just ask mom and dad to buy you a new better one.

Buddy please, this is my Midlife Crisis and I’ll cry if I want to.

You’d have probably hit the right notes here with a bit more editing + not calling for draconian penalties, anywhere, to a bunch of skaters. Ya big fuckin nerd.

3 Likes

If I was a big fucking nerd, I would be on a pedelec forum, with professors and spandex prettyboys.

1 Like

Yes, another COMMUTER, that doesnt have the means to replace stolen shit, nor wait till the supplies roll in to rebuild.

1 Like

I commute too. I just don’t leave my shit where it can be stolen

6 Likes

You know,

Its alright to have opinions on things, but buying an electric skateboard on disability because “ebikes are dumb”. Then saying that they can be so easily stolen and people need to be shot for doing that. When the ONLY thing that makes an eboard better transport wise, is that it is more portable.

Is not exactly a big brain move.

Also, there are many threads here already about boards being stolen and putting tracking devices in them.

And also, if people want to really steal shit, nothing like a lock is going to keep them back. Locks are to keep honest people out. In the netherlands some people (mainly drunk ofcourse) steal bike seats just to cause inconvenience, it just is what it is. Take care of yo stuff. Dont use quick locks on your bike here folks!

8 Likes

SHOT? Any decent board is beyond the cost that entitles it to be GRAND THEFT.

Many years ago, I had my car stolen from my driveway. I called cops, and the cop that had just lied to the judge on me in court, admitted, he would not even fill out a police report for me as he disliked me. I had a friend call, and tell me he saw my one off rims and had tried to take the keys outta his ignition and in doing so, tore the shirt off his back. But did get his address. I called the cops, and told them to MEET ME THERE. They said they would handle it. I said when, they said monday or so. It was friday. I said, ok, I will go there, and whatever is left of the thief, I will turn into you worthless pieces of shit. Then hung up. I was called back immediately, and she told me they would send someone immediately. Then, when I recieved the first call from cops, telling me to come get my shit, they said, be here today, or we give your shit back to him. When I arrived at the station, they asked, where are the jack stands to put his car on. I said the fucker stole my shit and his car can sit on the dirt. He again threatened to give him back my shit. I tore that detective a new ass, right in front of all his homies at the station. Telling him how dare he threaten me, when I had no transpo to come get it.

I pay them to be worthless, and if they dont act, I will, and I will make them suffer extreme humiliation.

So basically they call you Mr. fuck around and find out?