BEERCAN BOARDS mods and models boxes and locksez

So I got two boards from a reseller of Beercan Boards and finally made a model.

it has these slots on the bottom that are somewhat clearly to me made fro T-slot type fasteners found on 8020 extrusion. From measuring it seems like 30x30 size extrusion is the closest size slot to this/ fasteners meant for it would fit this.

the slot dimensions are like this.

Beercan Boards 38in with concave.STEP (699.0 KB)

here is my model.

Can anyone help me find the perfect fastener for this?

My goal you might be able to tell from the title is to make some mostly metal boxes that fit perfectly and mount quickly using the slots for a fully modular and robust board.

Hope some people interested can help me out!

5 Likes

Looks like a good application for T nuts

Aluminum-Z-Nuts-tslots

4 Likes

I was failing to find models for many of them. The drop in style in your pic were my first thought but if you wanted to leave them in the deck when removing the boxes then this non-dropin type would be best because it would not be able to fall out. Then I would use some small screws maybe rivets to secure them along the slots.

oh now I am reminded that I do not know if these slots are a standard distance apart for all the Beercan Boards models. I presume they are but idk… I should have put that in the dimensions above.

1 Like

Like this? lol need to make an actual one.

5 Likes

haha when I starting thinking of this I was figuring that others had done it but none had been brought to the attention to these forums.

so, you made that?
Looks like a standard alu enclosure extrusion with custom ends.
why drill more holes instead of using the slots? Thinking about it, even with the design you showed you could make a part that clamped the box to the deck using the slots with fasteners. Just an extra separate part instead of building it into the box. My goal was to make it all metal or everything outside that could be bashed be metal.

1 Like

I didn’t make the box, thas an old amplifier :rofl:. I’m looking for the clamps I used.

2 Likes

oh… it looks like it fits perfectly over the slots like it was made for that! wow nice eye.

very close to it. The idea of using a large box extrusion is better than the many shapes cut then bent/welded. it would waste some space but be much cheaper.

2 Likes

Slightly modified the amp to fit. The clamps were like some expansion nuts. Like a nut and bolt with a poly bushing on it.

2 Likes

And you can fit 4 5s lipos down the center of it.

hehe

2 Likes

Don’t make me twist yours :grin:

1 Like

is that an offer or a threat?

1 Like

Not sure but I have a 10mm wrench and I’m available after 10AM mon-fri

I think the best alu enclosure extrusion I will find is like this with one side rounded

huh… maybe this would be a good thing to try casting myself.

3 Likes

i have had the same thought. i hope this goes well! looks simple enough.

1 Like

My goal is to fit a layer of 26650 or stagger stack 18650 maybe stagger 2170 is a better goal.

each slice would fit maybe ~15 18650? throw two rows in each case for a 10S3P

perhaps 12 2170 per is a good idea. I will check later with 26650

1 Like

Where you find that?

1 Like

google images for “aluminum enclosure extrusion”

Then thinking about how much it would cost to produce a custom alu extrusion as these industrial sites offer that fit this deck (or if designed without the slot mounting built in many more decks) perfectly.

Looks like the Beercan Boards Rep showed up! just like that! wow 10 star service!!!

1 Like

As an employee an a representative of Beercan Boards, let me first say, im a huge fan of what youre doing here, and we’ve been tossing around SEVERAL ideas to get into the electric market, be it via a kit or DIY. Id love to keep this thread going and lets all toss around some ideas!

4 Likes

ok my first idea to throw at you right away is to make a deck with the slots CNCed to be a lot less tall. (strength permitting) From my guess you cast the deck in a 2 part mold and the part looks like this:

so with no mods to the mold just CNC the slot to be shorter and then there would be less of a gap from the battery cells. Perhaps with a new/modded mold you could add a 3rd structural spine to allow them to be shorter. Actually if I was adding support I would attach steel to the middle after milling the slots shorter as my solution to the wasted space issue. Also wasted space could really be a non-issue given round battery cells can fit nicely around the slot/spines as is.

dang just realized I will have to go back and add the grip holes…

2 Likes

Theyre actually extruded in that shape. All we do w CNC is cut the shape and finger holes. A new extrusion dye is pretty costly. I’ve been trying to fathom an attachable battery box. We have sheets of .5" hdpe we use to make the end caps. Would love to figure a way to use that.

2 Likes