Beer Board šŸ» ~ 2x Focbox ~ Carvon Prototype Drive 90mm ~ Caguama 85mm ~ Hoyt St. Puck ~

Yes you are right and itā€™s getting annoying.

3 Likes

This is a sad day. Any suggestions on a fix?

16 Likes

oh nooo :frowning:

It looks like it was adhered to the can, why not just use epoxy to fix it back up?

ouch thatā€™s horrible lolā€¦ hub motor probs!

4 Likes

Does your school have a lathe? I think thatā€™s how they were done.

@Sn4Pz my concern is that if I epoxy it back up the same thing will happen again
@deucesdown we have a lathe, yes.

Iā€™ve been thinking of doing the epoxy to get it back into place for now and then using JB weld and a 3d printed ring to ensure that if the epoxy fails I can keep the sleeve from shifting.

It was actually quite scary that this happened, I was riding fast on a brick pathway on my way to a seminar and got speed wobbles very suddenly. I managed to steer the board into the grass and tumble without any damage. Luckier than @Argent, thatā€™s for sure.

6 Likes

Ahaha I was gonna joke about JB Weld @b264

My carvon 2.5, the wheel would expand with speed, like flare out, so I donā€™t know if you can glue the urethane to the can effectively.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t you make thin slots on either side of the wheel on the spinny motor bits (not sure what they are called) and add retaining rings?

I could, but I donā€™t want to take off any material if I donā€™t have to. I might do that if it comes to it.

1 Like

You could also machine or 3d print a piece to go on spinny bit and glue that to keep the wheel from moving in.

1 Like

Fukin ooof, manā€¦
Iā€™m feeling the pain all the way from here, glad you walked away from thatā€¦

Anyway, I canā€™t tell if the hub has a lip on the outside keeping the rubber from moving off the hub that way. Clearly the inside has no such lip, so that would be where I would look to improvement.

I have a couple potential suggestions.

1. machine a sleeve with a lip on it, preferably using the existing screw holes to mount (may need longer screwsā€¦) or make in two halves and use metal band (like on hoses and whatnot) to keep it in place.
  2. you may be able to wrap something on to the hub (after the rubber is back in place) to build up a lip. The right kind of tape might workā€¦
2 Likes

Damn. Iā€™m impressed. Ya managed to get a ā€œflat tireā€ on Urethane. Glad youā€™re ok.

7 Likes

Machine a new motor can or cover and add some sidewalls for the thane perhaps make a new mold for replacement urethane. Add some teeth like hummie hubs.

Iā€™m surprised it came off since previously I didnā€™t think carvon ever had issue with it.

Since those are old though maybe the epoxy just wore off?

1 Like

Ah dang dude! Iā€™m so sorry this happened. This is brutal, I got some wheels you can lathe out and switch urethane if you want.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. For now Iā€™ve epoxied it back in place and added gorilla tape with a 3d printed spacer. If it works Iā€™ll take pictures and let you know.

6 Likes

I would use some window weld to glue it back on. Itā€™s black polyurethane adhesive that used to glue windshields in place in cars. Pretty sure this stuff will hold. I think you can find it in auto repair stores for like $18, or you could probably get away with using some polyurethane construction adhesive from Home Depot or something.

1 Like

Ok so the tape thing might work or not, but a new problem has popped up. The board doesnā€™t have the same power as before! Itā€™s fully charged, everything is functional when Iā€™m not on it, but as soon as I hop on and try to accelerate it wonā€™t budge more than 2 mph. Iā€™ve opened it up and redone the FOC calibration with VESC tool and itā€™s still the same. Very curiousā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m so very confusedā€¦ Iā€™ve gone through the VESC tool again and set up the motors twice. I checked the voltage of the battery and itā€™s normal. The board spins up to full speed. Itā€™s just when I actually put the thing on the ground and try to go that it doesnā€™t want to give me any power. Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be?

1 Like

Can you check the voltage as you accelerate? Check to see if the voltage is taking a dump on youā€¦ perhaps lowering the motor amps? ā€¦ but it was working fine before right? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Iā€™ll check it this afternoon. Yes, it was working fine before.

2 Likes