Bearing problem on Torqueboards Direct Drive

Alright, thanks for the reply! I have to say you got me worried there for a while. In any case, it would be interesting to inspect some of the failed bearings, if they have failed for some people. Improper installation by applying force through the rolling elements may cause damage like this
image image

Opening failed bearings also tells us a story about lubrication.

Images from http://www.learneasy.info/MDME/MEMmods/MEM30009A/Bearings/Bearings.html

2 Likes

Yeah, if you need anything let me know. Any findings I’d be interested to know also.

2 Likes

Soooooo…

if i get that right with an improvised contraption like shown i could hammerpush the thing on which “75kv” is written out of the outer housing, which will then somehow give me access to the bearings?
Still not sure where to put dick…
Could you elaborate on dismantlement steps or even provide some rudimentary sort of schematic?

I’d appreciate any help

Cheers

1 Like

You’ll have to push the inner stator axle which is on the front of the motor on the inside diameter of the front bearing.

Ofc the retainer ring needs to be removed.

Removed the c-rings and removed the seal-rings. Are the bearings sealed on both sides? If so I’d hold the motor open bearing down and flood it with wd40. Afterwards i’d regrease the whole bearing.
Good idea - bad idea?

2 Likes

Yeah, sounds like a plan. After cleaning it, try to inspect the bearing inner and outer races for any damage. Dents, scuff marks, discoloration, anything other than a shiny smooth surface.

Won’t be possible, as bearings are still attached to motor housing. At this moment i’m holding the motor as such that wd40 won’t enter the stator itself. Upside down, so to speak. The bearing balls themselve are guided and held in place by a retainer which blocks the view on the inner components. Any idea what happens if wd40 gets inside the stator?

That’s unfortunate. I don’t think WD40 would cause any harm. It is non conductive at any voltage you would run your motors at.

After cleaning with WD40, flowing out with the oil, there was black grainy stuff coming out of the bearing and it started to get pretty noisy up to a point where you could feel a resistance while turning, as if something inside was trying to block. That’s gone now though.
Regreasing with a grease press and bearing grease didn’t change that.

This is where i’m now…
Not very satisfying.

Any ideas?

This is the same motor that ride Tastic had problems with in the following thread:

Watch post 2022

1 Like

Man I hate seeing this…
My DD has done this BS since day one.
TB sent me a single new motor, had to pay for it but still have this sound on mine.
The DD drive for me has been collecting dust. I don’t want to ride and send it on something
that sounds like that.

I have the one side giving more spin like your video, the motors
cog when reversing with rider. Its hot garbage from my experience.
I planned a 4wd with the DD, but since having my own issue I have decided belts are
the option for me.

2 Likes

Been running the TBDD’s since Sep 2019 almost daily and they’re still going strong, but I have exactly the same issue. I’m applying a bit of bearing oil on a regular basis and also added some material to the axles so they sit firmly. One motor was noisier than the other from the beginning and recently the clicking sound is becoming stronger. I can hear the clicking only at low speeds, at higher speeds they’re still silent.

4 Likes

I can relate to this! Hope Dexter will, at some point, confirm the exact dimensions of the bearings and also hope i’ll have the balls to take the motor apart and replace them. Would really make my day as for now i got no idea what goes on in the inside. Not keen for the motor to block at some point, also not sure if this could even happen.

2 Likes

Le @kook ?

3 Likes

Sorry… I don’t have the TB direct-dives any more…

if’n I was in a hurry I’d perv the TB direct-drive thread and look really close at the images and try and get a bearing code off them…

but I’d probably just open them up… But in another thread, or this one I saw @dex post some special fixture that he suggested to get to the bearings…

2 Likes

as Dex mentioned, it might be a difficult task.

1 Like

hey :beers: :beers: that’s what I remember as well…

however, the wording choice is insensitive… fukking texans!

:crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Let me just add that, apart from the recent clicking noise they are very close to perfection, hands down. I have at least 1000km on them by now.

1 Like

Didn’t have that kind of luck.
Freeroll is limited severely on the faulty motor.
What suprises me is the fact the clicking is the loudest when the motor is under load.
Not that much when just rolling.
Makes sense?

What’s interesting is that it seems to be always just one motor that has some kind of issue. I noticed already when they were brand new that there were slight differences between the two motors, almost if they were from different production runs. #conspiracytheory :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Now that I’m thinking about it, I’ve never put any bearing oil on the second bearing, the one under the wheel adapter. Should probably try that as well. Even though one of the motors appears to have more friction, I still have incredible freeroll. I really didn’t notice any difference.