Battle hardening motors

Ok, so we see quite a few fellas, sharpening our axes this season with Milliput, the much less painful way of battle hardening our motors. So tempted to try…

https://www.milliput.com/

2 Likes

Who knows. I’m a reasonable person and that’s all that matters.

@Bindings_McGee it’s time. I has them and they are chunky AF.

Calia said it was cool if you took the couch and he crashed in my room.

Need lead time of 2weeks to get pulleys, belts, Tools to make double motor plates (or Marc :pray:).

I should have bought those damn extra unity’s you sent me links to on, like 4 separate occasions.

Buy a ticket. Rob is just being a typical bro In this Covid era. The thermostat is conformally fixed at a normal temp thanks to your bottle of nail polish.

6 Likes

Yep, saw @Lee_Wright’s video, convinced me to buy some milliput for this, looks so easy.

3 Likes

Someone needs to ride the hell out of the Milliput. I used it and the guy who has the board is a biiiig guy but he doesn’t ride around at 50mph. I feel a bit responsible for this process. :grimacing:

6 Likes

I did say in the video I’ve never used it myself and I only know of one guy using epoxy putty and that’s @rich, hes not using milliput though. Its deffo worth treating this process with a bit of caution until more people have tested it

6 Likes

(derail) Lee when’s your next video coming out? As one of the few good DIY eskate YouTubers I’ve just been catching up on your backlog lately… just throwing it out there that I look forward to your content… it’s good stuff man!

7 Likes

Every monday brother! Thank you, I really apprieciate that.

6 Likes

There’s good reason for him being cooler than Jay Boston.

6 Likes

lets not get carried away

1 Like

Sexier?

4 Likes

you don’t “accidentally” leak stuff. start punching below the belt and we can talk

2 Likes

Anybody here that has taken a turnigy sk3 motor apart? I hear a very slight rubbing sound. as if 1 strand on the winding is rubbing against the magnets but i don’t know what screws to remove.

There are 4 screws on the can (Phillips yuck) take those out and you can pull the can/rotor/magnet end off…

3 Likes

Great video and thanks for the credit :grin:
The only thing I’m missing is the shrink tube on the shaft so you don’t have to clean it :wink:.

I did that already but not with Milliput but that’s next.
I ordered Milliput superfine, too because of the beautiful can of @Lee_Wright. It looks so good.

I have experience with standard epoxy putty which hardens within 3-5 minutes which is too fast. I didn’t fill the gaps properly but enough to secure the magnets. TBH I was happy when the shit sticked to the can and not to the wooden stick, it’s not pretty. However here it was fresh done:

After 3/4 year of abuse it looks like this:

The stator looks like before, it seems on the rotor it’s just a tiny bit less material but not dramatic. Also this are 200kv motors and were often ridden at max RPM. I guess when the gap is completely filled then it’s better. I mean the epoxy putty can be sanded so after a while dust and debris can sand it down a bit anyway. But in real life this is no problem if there is just a bit dust (more), it’s not that whole parts are missing so everything good. I was thinking about buying nail polish and paint the Milliput afterwards for better protection.

9 Likes

No problems dude! Post pictures of your results with the milliput - I have a feeling you are going to find it much much easier and a better result. You dont need the heat shrink for the shaft bro, you wont get any on it and even if you do a bit of water and its gone - its amazing the water just smooths it and melts all the little bits away

5 Likes

There’s no way i get them off. I’ve held my soldering iron on the screw for at least 5 minutes and nothing moves when using the screwdriver

I don’t know what enchanted motors they are. I’ve held a lighter to the screw for a minute and i can’t even feel a difference to before. It doesn’t get hot at all

1 Like

Yeah i was gonna try harden one of mine and stripped one of those phillips screws immediately. Plan aborted.

1 Like

I fuckking h8 Phillips head screws…

Do you have access to an impact driver?

I’ve used those successfully after heating… heat up the offending screw, you load up the correct bit, line it all up carefully, and then whack the impact driver HARD with a hammer…

if this won’t work… there is always…

Plan B

@glyphiks yeah fukking phillips heads…

1 Like

Do you think there is any need to worry about balancing the motors or worrying about imbalance? Like, as long as I am relatively even as best I can around the cans, I wonder if there is anything I should worry about there.

I would say that the method I showed is likely to be more consistent and accurate than the epoxy resin and I am not aware of people balancing rotors when doing it with resin so I guess not, although I haven’t tested it ofc.