Battle hardening motors

Wouldn’t we all?

8 Likes

I have two favorites but a holes a hole

5 Likes

To what advantage? If anything wouldn’t it make cable management worse?

Just so freaking giant…

4 Likes

Just a quick update on the Flipsky 6384s.
Full bukake treatment on can and stators.

I went on an 11 mile ride(18km).
It is 62f( 17c)
Minor inclines.
Motors did not feel especially hot.
Touched them a few times during the ride.
I don’t get accurate motor temperature from my esc.

So. So far so good.

2 Likes

I figured I should add these pictures here as well.
I had recently epoxied the crap out of my Flipsky 6384s.
Today I decided to barrel into a huge rock and it killed the motor as I was riding.
Got home.
Opened it up.
Right at the point of impact one magnet was broken.
I cleaned out the chunks and tried the motor and it runs.
Some funny sounds at low speeds. But normal sounding at higher speeds.

I’m going to fill the void with epoxy and will try to keep the motor running and will keep y’all posted.

11 Likes

I assume there will be little bits of magnet stuck in the stator? Will you just use a bigger magnet to get them out?

1 Like

squeezehandleflashlight
Shit sounds like one of these

1 Like

Nope. It was all epoxied up…

3 Likes

Ahh you did the stator too :+1:

1 Like

I think if someone is planning on riding off road, that they should have bash guards on the motors.

Oh from the pic you were basically on pavement lol.

That actually make me think, instead of epoxy inside that is retaining heat, why not put a rubber sleeve on the outside of the motor can? It would cushion impact to the motor can and prevent dents like that, and still allow the air vents to draw air for cooling. The rubber sleeve could be in sections maybe or even a 3D printed sleeve with air channels for cooling. Kind of a sacrificial piece that is replaced after damage?

Edit: nobody mention hub drives.

3 Likes

In this situation it would make the clearance even less and possibly increase the chance of damage. Raf likes them cans hanging lowwwwww

1 Like

Hm. Put enough rubber until it touches the ground. Gear the wheel to synchronize outer surface velocity. Ez 6 wheel/4WD board.

6 Likes

You’ve given me a bad idea…I was having trouble with press fit pulleys sitting to far in the wheel, what if I take the wheel off and ride the pulley? It’ll save a ton of weight and get real low to the ground :grin:

1 Like

Forget that. Grab that 4 wheel truck on amazon, 2 massive pulley on each axle, extra wide belt drive across both pullies with the motor in the center high. Now you have tank tread drive.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by this, but I think the best you’ll get is that truck, but you bolt some Maytech 8085s on it, they have the double supported axle and the can is bigger than the mount face…run 4 of those on your tank

2 Likes

I question battle-hardening the magnet can, if the original epoxy affixing the magnets is suspect…

2 Likes

You sure about that?

First because it holds heat probably more than a bit epoxy between the magnets.
Secondly I had magnets break without impact. A rubber around the bell wouldn’t have helped anything here.

1 Like