Battery PCB Files

if anyone wants to do a gerber file of what im looking for we can come to some agreement on compensation. im not gunna learn eagle now.

i like the design as i have it more as it allows more flex with the cells going across the deck instead of parallel.

1 Like

EasyEda has a learning curve of 0.1degrees
Might be easier that way

Is that techinal drawing to scale?
@hummieee

1 Like

yes. is .
just need figure if worth doing 4oz copper on top and that would be enough that the bottom could be the long trace back with a solder guard. what i did before above had the many through holes and 2oz stuff mirrored on the underside and was good enough copper

ill try that program thanks. or maybe youd want to do it!

1 Like

I could but right now it would be irresposible.
Unfortunately I am in exam season. If its not done by May 13th I can help you.

I would upload your image and trace off that. It shouldnt take more than an hour. the pattern repeats so you could copy paste your way through it quite easily

1 Like

i bet its easy for someone who knows what theyre doing but just spent 2 hours dillydallying with these different pcb programs and not getting anywhere. i imported the image into kicad but all i could do was turn it into a bitmap.
if you want bucks and will only take you an hour…id give you 40. or better yet do it together with the dualing screens thing. teamviewer

1 Like

So… about that.

Also throwing my battery PCBs + other misc OS designs up here for hosting, published under GPL GNU v3:

3 Likes

Getting these made but with the cost of getting the design put into a gerber that the pcb house can use I won’t be giving up the design

I will sell complete batteries:
(36) 26650 a123
(48) 18650 30Q

Or maybe the boards solo. Or maybe for legal reasons sell disassembled with tabs welded on individual cells that people would then solder or weld to the board. (Then again I see a lot of people selling completed batteries illegally).

3 Likes

So John you ended up getting the files made? The design looks quite nice. Make sure you get everything checked for current ratings. Will you be relying on the just the copper pour to carry the current or will you be laying down solder

1 Like

IMO, I’m not sure the copper pour should be used to carry any significant amount of current unless you’re going with a 4-layer + 2oz pour + heavy via arrays.

All of my designs use PCB more of a weldable support material/structure (I’ll weld nickel in place to the copper and then solder to adhere/connect/saturate), 2oz pour is largely so it doesn’t blow through or bubble up when you spot weld to it. In the larger flexPCB designs, the nickel tab on the series connection is intended to be overlapped/welded together.

I generally agree with you, but when @hummieee asked if I could make this file I did go find acalculator just to see how this would go
So heres what I punched in. if we want to only allow 45C as a max temp. and say only 60A then a single 2oz layer would need to be 70mm wide.
If you use both sides and math out your vias properly you could get away with 35mm width.
Thats not amazing. but not terrible either. with some optimization it could be done with 2 layers and some just a simple solder layer

2 Likes

Hmm any plans for a 21700 12s4p pcb?

3 Likes

One like @hummieee has there?
Are you asking me or him? haha

I can whip up pretty much any pcb if you can wait more than a week. May 17th at the latest I am available for custom designs

2 Likes

I think that’s a valid point. Via solder saturation is pretty commonly used with power rails/mosfet heatspreaders, etc. But at a certain point its probably worth going to 4-layer with that method all the same.

1 Like

true, I4 layer is absolutely better, its just a matter of prioritizing cost or not

looks ike the for a 15x50 cm PCB, the cost doubles from 35 to 70 usd at jlcpcb.

2 Likes

At what QTY though? Their shortrun fabhouse is a totally different cost scale than anything at 100+ (which is handled by a different fab)

I forget the math but I remember w 2 layers of 2oz copper it was equivalent to like 12awg content. And the vias need to be many and highly conductive. As said going to more than two layers, or thicker copper, or thinner layers, really bumps the price and thickness up.

I’ll have to figure what the square mm of copper is w this again. Pcb conductivity standards are much lower as they have good heat dissipation but I was going with copper content as a guide.

I’m only doing these two versions now

2 Likes

By my math with fat traces on both sides amounting to 70mm total width it’s closest to 10awg copper mm^2. With 2oz copper it’s 4.9mm^2.
Assuming the vias are good

3 Likes

Can someone please help me, I don’t know what I’m doing.

Trying to get some PCBs made to make my life a bit easier.

Can someone please double check what I have so far before I place an order?

https://easyeda.com/esk8life.orders/batt-pcb

1 Like

What’s it?

That “copper trace below top layer” is not actually copper on any layer.
If you cllick the the layer here you can move to the bottom layer.
easyeda defaults to two layers

2 Likes