Battery not charging :(

First up, sorry to be one of these people that makes these threads, but I promise I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have to…:neutral_face:

So I have this BMS, this charger and a 10S3P battery pack that I have had for around ~5months and in the past 2weeks the charging has been playing up, sometimes it would work other times not. Then it just stopped working altogether, sooo I order a new BMS (same kind as above) and got it today. And guess what? It still doesn’t work. I measured the cell voltages and all are within 0.1v of each other:

| 3.7 | 3.6 | 3.6 | 3.6 | 3.7 | 3.6 | 3.6 | 3.7 | 3.6 | 3.7 |

The voltages on the BMS are as seen below:

Some more pictures :slight_smile:

Any help or suggestions would help ease my suffering during this tough time…

1 Like

Maybe check the charging port ? I had something similar & it was also my port or take a volt meter & see if it’s your charger :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Oh yes, I have checked the port and the 42v from the charger is coming through all good :confused: I have a feeling its the charger but there is 42v coming out of it (from the plug) so i’m not sure…anyone taken apart one of these chargers before? don’t feel like dying today

What’s the voltage of P-? Is it the same as C-?

1 Like

the voltage of P- is 35.4v not sure which one is C-, but its not the same (P-) as any of the readings on the BMS…

Guessing its wired as by pass(charge only)?
If its not. Try remove the bms and see if the charger works just connected directly to your battery.

1 Like

your correct it is a charge only BMS setup. wait, try charging without the BMS?

1 Like

If the BMS was the issue, it would tell. If the charger worked without it. But since its wired in parallell with everything since its charge only, it shouldn’t matter since the BMS only has balance function and dsn’t pass the current. (unless you wired it weird somehow?)

The Charger itself should start if input voltage(battery) is less then 42V. So if theres a BMS or not, the charger dsn’t rly know/care

1 Like

Have you tried charging the battery without the bms hooked up at all to eliminate that as a variable?

2 Likes

will try that today, thankyou. let you know how it goes :+1:t2:

after removing the BMS from the battery and hooking up the charger accordingly, it works…! which means that the BMS is the one to blame. Will double check everything before filing for a refund to make sure everything is hooked up correctly. To be honest this doesn’t surprise me as this is only a cheap $15 BMS.

@linsus thankyou also for your help!

4 Likes

Try the Bestech D239

https://www.litechpower.com/product-detail/HCX-D239LI10S08A.html

8A charge circuit, 8A accessories circuit (lights, et cetera, or not connected) with 42mA balancing

1 Like

That’s good to hear! Yes I agree with @b264 get a bestech as I have used 3 so far without a issue, and they are inexpensive.

1 Like

will look into getting one, shipping to Australia is a killer though :frowning:

1 Like

Hi guys! I have a 10S4P who don’t want to charge over 60% and discharge very quickly.
I bought a new BMS (10S 60A charge + discharge, Autobalancing) still not received. My battery give me this voltage :
3,46: 6,94 : 10,42 : 13,89 : 17,6 : 22,xx : 27,xx : 31,xx : 36,xx : 41,xx.
Spoiler, It’s a Raptor 2.1.
In my opinion, the battery is fine but the BMS is just fucked up.
What’s your’s?

Measure each P-group to two decimal places. These numbers are difficult to believe / not accurate enough.

Yeah sorry, my volmeter have only 20V or 500V as options, so after 17.6 I had to set it at 500V and I don’t have decimals. I’m just happy there no “0” as Delta.

Instead of measuring from ground to each balance pin, measure from balance pin to the next balance pin. Then you can get 3 significant digits precision for each P-group. However, do not accidentally short them out!!!

3 Likes

Good Idea! I have 4.63V for last 5 pins. Hummm, not a littlebit strange?

That’s dangerous. I would take that battery onto concrete right away while you decide how to fix it. Preferably outdoors.