Battery Destruction. How to make a battery thats gonna blow up.

Empty out the archives of some cells gone spectacular.

.+ water?

Don’t wrap the p groups in fishpaper

yeah man the cell wrappers stay on when nothing happens to them and I don’t plan on anything bad happening.

I think it would be nice for every solid requirement to have an example of what does not meet that in this thread.

It’s a terrible conductor and will not short out a pack but it can make it easier, much easier, to shock yourself if water is around. Always best to keep it away from any cells or pack. Encourages corrosion too as it often has salts of one type or another dissolved in it.

2 Likes

I was thinking more like the BMS could short and cause something bad to happen but I have not seen anything worse than a BMS stop working so far. True that most water that gets inside an esk8 is from rain which should be clean-ish.

Title of thread is dramatic

what is the worst that can happen from rusty cells? only more rust that I know of.

Ahh…good point. Pure water alone shouldn’t do anything but if something conductive is dissolved in the water (splashed water is pretty dirty) that could possibly affect a BMS or ESC.

A rusty film on its own on the cell only, probably not an issue. Unless there is corrosion of the nickel/cell weld points.

I’ve see pictures of large, raised rusty bumps on cells though…definitely eating away at the can and that can’t be good. :scream:

1 Like

put exposed contacts into an unprotected carbon fibre enclosure

2 Likes

Can confirm, water damage can cause BMS shorts. This one only had a few hours of “exposure to water” :sweat_smile:.

8 Likes

Oooof, was this yours or a customers? Haha

1 Like

Was a guy we know. If you search about you’ll see a video of Q getting into the canal to save it.

7 Likes

I think you’re being a bit generous with the word “save” there :grin:

Salvage might be the best word. Lots of parts usable still.

1 Like