Battery Building with Prismatic LiFePO4

Has anyone built a battery with prismatic cells? Seems like they have potential to be a more energy dense use of space vs the LiFePO4 round cells?

Benefits: they are LiFePO4 chemistry, which is usually safer, suffers far less voltage sag, and can charge and discharge at higher rates. Also, potentially really easy to build a battery, especially in MTB jump pack style.

They also live for fucking forever. Like 6000 cycles.

Something like this with enough in series for decent voltage:

12pcs 3.2V Lifepo4 A123 AMP20M1HD A 20AH Prismatic Pouch Cell Starter Batteries of DIY 12V 24V 36V 48V 60V Battery Pack|Rechargeable Batteries| - AliExpress

I know someone at CarvePDX had a LFP pack, from bulk battery salvaged cells or something like that. Who was that?

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Ive often pondered this. I think theres a YouTuber who used those 200a samsung pouches on a board i remember vaguely it seeming a bit sketch and underwhelming. And if the vgue memory is still serving, im pretty sure someone here successfully and much less sketchily used those batts in ammo cans or the like. Maybe fosterqc or another kinda ek8N og. I intend to use some 40ah samsumg liion to build a 8s1p to use with 265kv 7490 modors. The fucking things are obnoxiously large n heavy but i reckon 8 in a topbox on somin like a flux should be okay. Plus i wonder what could even handle 265kv at 10 or 12s. Charging should take days, i cant wait.

3 Likes

Probably @Fosterqc with his bmw battery

I think you’d have a hard time still fitting them in an mtb enclosure, stacking up 12 of them would be pretty large

3 Likes

Prismatic/pouch lifepo4 cells bloat unlike cylindrical packaging. Sure you can save space at first but such benefit would be negated once they start to swell.

Sure they have very long life cycles as advertised but that’s kindda misleading. They will last long only with low C application. They gas up fast with repeated high charge/discharge rates. At certain high C application with similar capacity configuration, P42 moli packs can outlast and overall outperform most common prismatic lifepo4 packs.

1 Like

They’re only 6"x9" and 0.3" thick. 21s would put you 6"x9"x6", and you would be at 1344wh, which seems pretty good for energy density.

If they bloat, that kinda kills using them for esk8. Curious what @Fosterqc experience with them is. Is bloating cells something you’ve seen?

1 Like

hmm maybe, but 6 inches is still pretty tall for a mtb

Many LiPos in the FPV race quad world have compression plates to stop swelling and increase performance slightly, maybe the same technique could be used here? The clamping force might be kinda large at esk8 scales though.

2 Likes

These used to be in my eskate and repurposed after they became too tight for the enclosure. These have vents. I imagine vent-less pouch lifepo4 would be worse.

Advertised 30Ah, 100A continuous discharge, +2000cycles @ 80% DOD… but only lasted around 40cycles before this happened even tho I only drew 80A max.

5 Likes

Looks like I’ll be sticking to commuter decks then…

I don’t have any pouch lifepo4 cells. They would need some compression if used in an esk8.

2 Likes

The 12S 19Ah is actually Mercedes Benz OEM idek who made the cells.
Mercedes OEM L09-1 EV Battery is pretty cool.

The other massive 16S 20Ah pack I have is made by SHARP.
Battery Clearing House SV-BA10 13s 20Ah Battery

3 Likes

I use LiFePO4 a lot in the boards I use daily, mostly because they’re safer and last a really, really, really long time.

But they don’t have less sag, they have more. It just feels like they have less sag, because the sag is rather constant throughout the whole charge cycle, so the board never really feels “sluggish” compared to when you took it off the charger — until a couple minutes before it’s completely dead.

And feeling like less sag, might as well be less sag. :clown_face:

You get everything with LiFePO4 — except high range. They’re perfect for commuter boards {used for transportation}.

2 Likes

A 12S LiFePO4 board (43.8V or 43.2V) feels almost the same as a 10S li-ion board (42.0V).

2 Likes

Do you have pics of them in an eskate? I’m curious to see how you did it.

1 Like

If you look through my build threads you can see some

I run some packs in Apache cases built with pouch/prismatic cells … but Li-Ion chemistry, not Lifepo4.

Currently in service are…
– Two instances of: 10s1p SPIM08HP (8Ah, weighs like 4 kg [10 lbs] in the apache case) like @Fosterqc has used… these seem to push 100A fine.
– One: 10s1p Stoba that @Fosterqc linked above (19Ah, weighs like 8 kg [20 lbs] in the apache case)… but I dont run this pack alone cuz its only good for 40A discharge. I pair it with one of the SPIM08HP packs to share the load.

Since you mentioned Lifepo4 A123 prismatics, I have noticed different form factors. Check these out…

3 Likes

Those would make a heck of a battery, but it’d be 12cm thick! A tad much for the bottom of a board.

2 Likes

Those pouch cells look verrrry interesting! Thanks for the link.

Just a side note….
LiFePO4 (LFP) cells are Li-Ion, just one of the many available chemistries like LiPo’s (LCO) are.

2 Likes

The patent for the LiFePo4 runs out after newyears, alot of chinese factories are ready to spew out cells for cheap when it does. So might want to hold of for dirt cheap prices in spring :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Some skinny boys (<.5cm thick). Only 6Ah.
I googled the marking that appears to be the A123 Systems model number (AHP6AU1-A) and found no substantial info.

They look similar in form factor to the 20Ah versions in the OP. Could make sense for a top mounted battery. Tricky to fit under deck.

2 Likes