Battery building online course?

Hi!

Is there any good online training for guilding li-ion batteries? I do not care if it is a paid course as long as it gives all the information you need to build safe esk8 batteries. I would like to know as much as I can not only to build my own but also to be able to judge a bit more the work made by others if I decide to buy an already built one.

Do you have any course suggestion?

2 Likes

@Skyart has some videos he’s made already

1 Like

Imma need this soon lol

1 Like

2 of my fav resources to get you started

Essentially, the core things to a safe esk8 battery are

• Flexibility. If you have any flex whatsoever, you must connect parallel groups with either copper braided cable or silicone wire.
  • 3 Welds (6 points) or more per cell whereever possible
  • Verified pure nickle only (You can verify it by scratching it up a lot then putting it in vedry salty water for a couple of days. Nickle plated steel rusts/turns the water orange). Sometimes you’re sold fake nickle accidentally even by reputable sellers (That can be lied to or so can their suppliers supplier etc)
  • Never cross a balance wire, and if you have to, use fishpaper to make a little bridge for it to go over
  • Fishpaper everything. As we dont use cell holders in the interest of space, all that stops P groups from shorting is the thin PVC wrap they come in. Use fishpaper as tall as your cell to wrap up the P groups, genuine fishpaper (otherwise called barley paper) isnt expensive.
  • Along similar lines, always use fishpaper rings on the tops of the positive terminals.
  • Never solder directly on the cell, including balance wires. Make tabs for them and solder to the tabs
  • Use genuine polymide (kapton) tape. its cheap as hell and maintains its hold under heat.
12 Likes

And number 1:
Never work on batteries when you don’t have a time or you are tired.

12 Likes

@Anubis

I’d like to get in contact with you regarding the 220 hangers I just received.
Magnus, Sweden

Alls you need to know.
A very, very detailed video on how I built my battery pack for electric skateboard. - Bing video

Everything said so far is great. When other people ask about building batteries, I strongly recommend they literally read through the entire battery builder’s club thread. Then when they ask, “All of it? It’s like a thousand pages…”, I go “Yeah, it’ll save you from making a lot of mistakes and losing money and probably some skin at the very least.”

@Lee_Wright is an amazing resource, I’ve learned a ton from him.

And honestly, Pavel Garmas’s long video of a top to bottom build was pretty good to watch also.

5 Likes

Ah, I see the video was posted already, but I didn’t see it from the Bing link. My bad. :pray:

1 Like

I’m thinking of mounting my old gopro hero 4 above my desk and making some videos or a time-lapse of building common esk8 packs. There should be a thread of good battery tutorials.

2 Likes

Hero 4? Ewwwww. If you do that, I’d personally ask to put as much into the production quality as the build of the packs themsevles. Granted, I’m a biased YouTuber that’s never satisfied with a video…but I just can’t watch potato content no matter how valid and quality the information in it is.

Anyway…I’ll pack up my negativity and piss right off now. :pray:

2 Likes

I don’t see Pavel Garmas mentioned here much. Why is that? I’ve found his videos to be pretty darn good

3 Likes

It was my christmas gift when I was like 10 :rofl: It was a blast making snowboarding and airsoft videos. I’ve done a couple marching band POV videos too. It’s either a Hero 4 or a IPhone XR…

I’ll try my best, they won’t be close to anything you do but will probably get the point across.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies! Very appreciated!

1 Like

Haha I feel you, I’m gonna be making a tutorial somewhat on my 10s5p build that I’m doing for an upcoming project

Will be a little bit as there’s a different video that comes before it, but I will work hard to make it high quality

2 Likes

Any videos of someone building a battery for a single stack eboosted enclosure? Just wanna see how other people designed their packs as im going into this mostly blind

2 Likes

What config? I don’t have a video but I can help.

This angle ain’t that bad right??? I printed a 200mm mount that sticks to my wall…

it does need some lighting though.

Also what settings would you recommend?

• 1080p 60fps
  • 1440p 48fps
  • 2.7k 30fps

Don’t know the specific layout, but I’m maxing out my 40" evo SS enclosure with 12s4p p42a.

1 Like

This might help if you haven’t seen it already, it’s from the product page:

I have seen the picture, I just wanted to know what to expect from actually doing it