Battery Basics for Beginners Wiki [Serious]

Hahaha didnt expect so much attention for this question looks like a very stringy topic
I will use liion 10s2p, as esc this new mini vesc by flipsky. I am not sure what you mean by connectors but I am thinking about xt60 or xt90? Just one motor.

I noticed a question about BMS usage and was about to direct the user to this thread. I think a generic picture of how a BMS is wired might be informative. Comments about picking a specific bms (and wiring specifics), wiring to the can, not crossing lines etc. are probably suited for the next step up thread.

1 Like

Hi, i’m here again on may i have asked about to connect 2 6s lipos in parallel to a BMS
now, i have the question, made a mistake buying a 10s battery charger instead a the 6s one, for the moment can i use my imax b6 mini to charge the 2 lipos in parallel througth the bms until i received the 6s charger?

and wich 6s charger recomend to buy? the lipos are 6200mah each one

Thank you for your answers in advance

1 Like

What cable gauge and fuse would you guys recommend for series connection on 2x7s 22ah lipos?

Depends on the load you plan to draw from them.

1 Like

Between 50 and 60 amps, motors are 3500w

12awg silicone wire will work fine for that current. I’ve seen most folks double their current draw setting for the value of the fuse.

Is it true that charging a pack when it’s “hot”, meaning right after a ride, will shorten its lifespan?
A contractor friend of mine was telling me that he nevers charges a battery right away if it goes empty on the job.

Yes, it’s true. Heat is the enemy of a battery.

Charging or using a pack when it’s above room temperature can shorten its life. The hotter the batteries are, and the longer they are at a higher temp, the more that affects the life of the batteries.

It’s always best to wait an hour or two before recharging if the pack is more than a bit warm. This isn’t always convenient though so just wait whenever possible. A few charges when warm are not going to kill a pack right away.

Never charge a hot pack though (above 60°C for the hottest cell)! Use your best judgement here as it can be difficult, if not impossible, to know the temp of the hottest cell in a pack.

Cold can be an issue when charging too. NEVER charge a pack that is below freezing as this can be dangerous. ALWAYS let a cold pack warm up to room temp before charging it.

6 Likes

Thanks Mooch, I got to make the most off of my battery it is really difficult and/or expensive to have cells shipped here.

1 Like

Sex number?

1 Like

In all serious, mention what a C rate is. It confused the shit out of me when I was starting. I see a lot of

Charge rate: 0.5C
Discharge rate: 5C

And it just used to confuse me.

4 Likes

From what I understand C is the total capacity of the battery like a 3000mah battery discharging at 1C would discharge at 3000ma or 3A.

Am I right @Venom121212 ?

1 Like

Someone type something up and I’ll add it to the top. I’ve never used lipos so I’m not the c rating expert

2 Likes

Do I need to mention what .5C equals to from my example?

That’s correct

1 Like

This thread should have been a wiki long ago, thanks for the poke @sleepless!

Feel free to edit the original post if you have factual information at a basic to moderate level that is esk8 battery related.

Ride safe, ride often :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Update with battery chemistry info. Probably more than beginners need to know, but as it’s the first step on the esk8 calculator, I figured it’s worth knowing.

I am definitely not a battery expert, so experts, by all means please correct/update/reword.

Nice! Thanks for the lesson!

1 Like

So to clarify, this formula is a formula for the best charge rate or amps to charge a battery pack with at a fast level that charges the board at a safe rate which prolongs the life, while isnt so slow that you die of old age waiting for it to charge?

2 Likes