Battery Basics for Beginners Wiki [Serious]

I would call that a fair assessment :+1:

4 Likes

Sweet! Thanks!

You can also check the “standard” or “typical” charge rate for the cells you want to use. That’s usually a good compromise between convenience and cell life.

5 Likes

Damn, good info! Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, am new to DIY batteries, what is the level of thickness I need for a nickel strip ? am making a 20S 4P with 21700 samsung 50E. Is 0.3mm thickness overkill and I should stick with 0.2mm ?

0.2 is tons, overkill IF it’s wide. Is it 0.2x30 or is it a thin strip like 0.2x10?
if its 0.2x10 that probably wont be enough, and id recommend going wider.
0.15x30 is perfect for what you’re doing.

Here’s the amazone link where I intended to buy, witch one would you recommend ?

Ladder nickel is annoying and bad, if you want to stagger cells for space you can’t and its hard to know if amazon nickel is authentic.
You need to think about the design of your pack and how it will fit into your enclosure. Once you know, find nickel wide enough to cover over the cells, maybe something like this

2 Likes

Nice, I came across those but the reason why I wanted to use the ladder is my battery geometry is 2 cell wide 2 cell Hight. Any suggestions or the ladder would be appropriate for this application ?

Without fully understanding the structure from what you said, why would you not use 40mm wide sheet nickel?

1 Like

This is called a ladder nickel strip : https://www.amazon.ca/Bestol-Battery-Welding-Parallel-0-15x27mm/dp/B07Y594KHC/ref=asc_df_B07Y594KHC/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341679597305&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2943585137328417460&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061031&hvtargid=pla-836303718699&psc=1

They are perfect because my P are 4P, two cell tall, two cell wide. I will indeed use 40mm, thickness my link is just to provide an example.

Edit suggestion to the bms section:

Or something like that :grin:

2 Likes

Throw it on in! It’s a wiki so it’s editable.

1 Like

My first wiki edit, im a real boy now :smiling_face_with_tear:

@Skatebored add what you learned about BMS to the wiki. It’ll be like getting ur dick wet for the first time (this comment will nuke itself when he reads)

Ah fuck I read a word wrong. Thought it specifically said battery bms basics lol. Point still somewhat stands.

Let’s keep the wiki neatly organized :sweat_smile: