Balance wiring criticism/bad examples/questions

We tested fused nickel for our battery pcb that already have charge fuse and discharge fuse and bms inside the pcb so no balance wires. Also space between all cells.

Problem with cell level fusing with nickeltab is that it could melt and drop down on pcb and make a permanent short.

10 Likes

Try telling the uni guys this and you’ll be buried in playground insults about how you ride slow

2 Likes

Par for the course.

You’re talking about a company that can literally sell anything to a customer base with the loosest wallets in the PEV space.

They have basically carte blanche to sell anything and assert it’s the best thing ever.

The Onewheel base already is primed to accept products, because that’s what Future Motion instilled. There’s only one maker of the product, so there’s no productive critique. You can’t go anywhere else.

And Chi is “homegrown”, as I’ve been told. They have a referral system, the assertion of innovation, and the continuing image of being the underdog that flies in the face of the Goliath that is Future Motion by offering people the “safest” batteries for the Onewheel.

It’s their bread and butter. And it’s not likely to falter ever.

Criticism is met reactively, and then said to be part of the operation the whole time.

Also, most people won’t spend $300-700 on a battery to immediately tear it open and look for reasons why they unwisely spent their money.

9 Likes

i would :rofl:
but that’s cause i like to take a peak inside

2 Likes

Esk8 news approved. :robot:

3 Likes

https://forum.esk8.news/t/just-rolled-into-the-shop/55425/4?u=jack.luis

6 Likes

just deflate your tires you’ll be good to go.

I mean if the wires are thin enough they will just vaporize… hopefully.

1 Like

I think I know why they started cell-level fusing. (Or at least one of the reasons they kinda fasttracked it)
The Onewheel packs are an extremely tight fit. FM uses bolts with several different lengths in the Onewheels and some Chi customers swapped some bolts during installation.
You can kinda see where this is going but on some places longer bolts will go inside the battery compartment. There have been (I think) two instances where bolts have punctured cells which caused fires.

4 Likes

Criticism?

2 Likes

Looks alright man!

2 Likes

Jokes on me… I’m glad I thoroughly check balance voltages before connecting. One of these little buggers got twisted in the base and I mis soldered. Easy fix if you check things first.

3 Likes

I would be more concerned with the soldering on these then the routing of the balance wires…

2 Likes

This is why I never paid these prices and started building my own…

2 Likes

You using an expensive ESD mat on top of your sacrificial work mat :rofl:

EDIT: oh I take it back, its just a fancy silicone mat.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go as far as to say “fancy” by any means haha

2 Likes

What I was thinking is that A+ meant there was nothing you can possibly point out that is bad, basically flawless. Where there is ambiguity, I just tend to compare to the others I guess. IDK we will figure it out.

1 Like
2 Likes

Shame me…

3 Likes

Looks fine to me

2 Likes

how dare you doubt youself

4 Likes