AWD “Displacer” suspension board

Thanks @fessyfoo
It’ll get around the track pretty quick even at it’s size. You need to try it with these new tires. They feel like if Metroboard made 10 inch tires. Seem to have plenty of grip and this build feels like a skateboard again because of the smaller sidewall. 3d printed hubs are not ideal but they have been holding up so far. Another thing I’ve been meaning to try is the lockout on the shocks, this gives the shocks minimal travel so should be better for the track then.

Did two 35 mile rides on this board this 4th of July weekend and it felt pretty good. Could be even more comfortable for LA streets which are just the worst (Long beach street were fine), got some ideas on what to improve for V2.

Got around to wiring up the lights.

12 Likes

The board carves pretty well at low speed.
23cefc63-2009-4a99-b033-51dbd3b5419d

The high speed carving is not the best. 45/30 seems to steep on the angles on what are essentially no slop rkps. Going to try 10 degrees lower to be more in line with channel trucks. I tend to overshoot turns while riding or even at the track. More overall lean would be nice.

Also found out my spring was way to low. I had to much preload on a 350lb spring that made it stiff. Tried a 650lb and that was much softer with no preload. Since it doesn’t have proper sag I need even higher rate shock. Here is good calculator I found if anyone happens to need it.

Air shock seems like a good option right now since they are easier to tune. In my research coil shock has better bump absorption so I will stay with it. I want to try an 190mm mtb coil shock for version 2 even though it’s much heavier and probably way overkill.

8 Likes

I got around to changing the angles of my trucks to 30/20 and it completely changed how it rides for the better. Carves much better and is way more stable. The deck leans a lot more and it’s easier to stay planted in the turns. Does pretty good on the track for how heavy it is and where suspension is actually a handicap.

Regarding suspension I came to the realization the front inner pivot in leading arm suspension has to be much lower to get adequate axle path. I ordered some new parts to test. Lowering the front pivot by 20mm which was as much as I could reasonably do. I’m also changing to 190mm shocks that are the similar to ones bajaboard uses. These have no compression adjustment and only rebound adjustment.

I think the star of this build is the 10 inch tuovts. They grip better than metro tires with the comfort better than Kendas. I think my suspension is not optimal currently and theyre the ones that made it comfortable. I would like to see more builds with these tires and plan to make another board using those tires on a more traditional “mountain” board to see how it compares. Would be nice to get some wheels machined for that.

Also working on modeling up version 2 of displacer. That version will address the foot space issue caused by the shock towers. All the parts would be machined aluminum to address the weight. I’m not sure when I will build it since it is a lot of custom machines parts.

12 Likes

tbh if it wouldnt get wheelbite on a traditional setup id be all over some knobby variant of these for offroading

I will be doing things a little different for that build. I designed my own deck and trucks. It is a challenge to fit 10 inch tires and probably why we don’t see you many builds with them.

3 Likes

Managed to get a couple rides on the new parts and new shocks before the rain. First impressions on the low front pivot in particular is that it’s the way to go for sure. It’s a lot more comfortable. I have one more upgrade package that will give me a higher pivot rear and a more favorable axle path there. It will also give me more ride height which I need. That should be all mods on this build.

With the data gathered hopefully I can build V2 this year. Here is a look of what I have in mind.

15 Likes

This thing is so wild dude. Super duper cool!!!

3 Likes

Thanks man. I appreciate it!

1 Like

Just coming here to say again that your board is dope, I hope I can try it one day at I2S or something

1 Like

Ty. Intro is good place to try it. I’ll sure I’ll run into you at one of the many events coming up too

1 Like

Are you down to share the design files? I’d love to take a crack at this tech while it’s still in beta.

I would share sketches of the geometry if that helps build around. As for sharing the complete cad model, not at the moment.

2 Likes

Anything with measurements helps. I can CAD up anything simple.

I sent you a dxf file.

@BenjaminF please use this picture for the boty contest.

7 Likes

Fantastic build! it would be interesting to know the specs, battery, motors,remote, heat sink? esc’s, settings, pics inside of box,weight.

Ty. Specs
Battery: 12s8p p42a
Motors: 6354 front/6384 rear
ESCs: Spintend Ubox v2
Remote: GT2b with custom 3d printed mod
Weight: 69lbs
Escs are inside 3d printed boxes like the battery, no heatsink.

5 Likes

Got the newest parts/shock towers installed and now you can better see that the front and rear suspension geometry are different. The front has a 50mm lower pivot point and the arms sit flatter in comparison to the rear that is angled down. This turns out to be a much better setup than my original concept that was symmetrical front and rear. In combination with bigger shocks and Fox springs I’m able to really dial in the desired feel in terms of spring rate and sag. This board is a proof of concept but I think there really is some potential in this overall design and excited to see what the future holds for it.

How it started.

How it’s going. (Off-roading and track practice on the same board)

giphy (2)

7 Likes

And is it just me or does the design look much simpler now too?

1 Like

From the original design it’s a little more complicated because the front and rear have there own unique geometry and some of the parts are front/rear specific.

2 Likes