Automatic kingpin angle adjustment

Nooo way!!! That’s just what a friend of me begin to make! He’s actually working on the prototype.

The aim is to be turny at low speed, and damn good stable at high speed, talking about 100kmh for this board, a 4wd with some maytech 8085, 4x 200amps Vesc, 10inch pocket bike tires and last but not least, a 12s20p.

4 Likes

Something about this just seems like a bad idea

FB_IMG_1571641521169

not sure what :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Hahahaha to light up the room at night^^
Pro tips😆

3 Likes

I was confused at the relevance of his reply.

2 Likes

Aren’t you just describing an adjustable baseplate?
Adjust it stable for high speed runs
And Adjust it turney for city/sidewalk runs
Takes ~30 seconds to adjust.

1 Like

You don’t sand your lipos so they fit? I thought everyone did that.

5 Likes

No, people only sand li-ons, my batteries were too big so I sanded the ends off

2 Likes

John, is that you?

3 Likes

Who’s John?

What about a kick tail for the sharp turns at low speed?

3 Likes

Doesn’t feel as cool as carving.

Legitimate way to turn the board though.

Come on, man. No need to come in here stating the obvious like that.

jk :rofl:

For real though, this is legit

Yes but what I think he wants is the truck to automatically adjust the angle of the truck when it gets up to a certain speed to stabilize the board and when he slows down it auto adjusts so he has a better turn radius. Kind of like a spoiler on a sports car that pops up when the car hits a certain speed.

4 Likes

Nah, too complicated

1 Like

I thought he said he wanted to do it manually because his original “automatic” idea was too complicated?

Yeah, that was the original idea

What about having a mechanical device to adjust the truck angle from the deck manually. Like a foot pedal you could depress on a ratchet system that adjusts in increments.

Love the concept btw

4 Likes

What if it was still electrically actuated with a motor, but it also had suspension built into this hinge on the deck.
Then you could have a solid battery pack center of the board and the suspension hinges that adjust the truck angles offer compliance.

compliance would definitely help with not absolutely demolishing whatever gearbox you try to make to adjust the truck angles

2 Likes

That’s kinda what I was thinking was some ratchet system. When I get some time I want to try and 3d model a concept

1 Like

I was thinking miniature bearings for the sliding surfaces, or shaped PTFE along the rails, a stepper motor attached to a worm gear rod with the other side being the bottom of the sliding part of the truck. so the main worm gear rod would be in the baseplate, and top gears on the adjustable part.

The worm gear support bearing could be in a plate that bolts onto the rear side of the baseplate that encloses the top sliding part of the baseplate so it can’t come out incase of failure (hangar and top part of baseplate won’t just fall out like they would with current adjustable baseplates that don’t have bolts locking them in)

don’t steal this idea I’m going to design this now.

edit: I forgot creative commons! have at it guys :grin:

3 Likes