[AU] FREE TB 12S4P - QLD, Australia

this is not good at all my man

Also, $300aud is probably a decent price point considering its age and not ideal health due to being stored at 92%… not great

1 Like

Sorry - it was stored at 60% but I literally just charged it full to see what it is holding - 92%.

1 Like

So you stored it around storage charge, but you fully charged it and it only charged up to 92?

Correct, I stored it at 60% and then checked it today and plugged it in for a charge to see what it would charge to when posting this thread.

I have left the battery turned on for over an hour for the battery meter to stabilize (it moves around a little) and then used multimeter to get actual voltage.

Sitting at 48V (Bat meter says 88% - don’t trust battery meters), which I guess is should actually read 95%. 4.2V * 12 = 50.4V

Right… So it sounds like it’s in pretty bad shape

2 Likes

I figured 95% for an approx. 2yr old battery wasnt that bad?

1 Like

What this means is that the battery is nearing the end of its useful life.

2 Likes

Ah ok, I suppose I may need to reconsider what I do with it… Chuck it!

Glad I checked the voltage and got the guidance on here - I genuinely thought it wasn’t that bad…

Thanks for responses @ShutterShock @BillGordon

2 Likes

You could always offer it up here for some beers or something.

Could be super handy for someone doing a budget build etc…

4 Likes

As you discharge a battery, the voltage doesn’t drop linearly or all the way to zero so a linear 95% of the voltage is definitely not 95% of the capacity. Instead of the range being 0-50.4v it’s like 36-50.4. If anything, the 88% is pretty ambitious

1 Like

Yeah by that math I’d say 83% is at best.

The concern for me would be that the battery isn’t charging to full.

I would have thought that even if the pack were old and tired, it would still charge to full and then settle down to a resting voltage.

The fact that it’s not even making it to full voltage possibly means there is something else going on with the pack.

And just as an FYI, pack wear/age/condition is usually measured by how much of its original capacity you can get out of it by discharging 50.4-36. If the pack doesn’t make it to full charge (or at least fairly close) it’s an indicator of not-good. Not qualified enough to say what level of charge corresponds to what level of wear, take my contribution with a pinch of salt

I would be guessing at this stage - the battery percentage would never sit at 100%, even when I bought it new, it was normally around 98%, but I had read so much about battery meters not being accurate that I did not worry too much.

My last ride with it was normal distance and I didn’t notice anything specifically wrong, but given that it has sat with ~60% charge for 12 months I’d say it could easily have just deteriorated over that time.

I had a hell of a good time on that board for 6 months though doing big distances and mad speeds of 70km/h+, so I’m not too bothered but would have been nice to get something for it rather than binning it!

1 Like

Honestly if you were local to me I’d probably pay something for it, but there aren’t a lot of folks willing to roll those dice

1 Like

All good - Listing changed to FREE for anyone to pick up or pay postage.

3 Likes

Would you ship to Germany and how much would it cost? :grimacing:

you could open the pack up and check the voltages between each group. It may just be one or 2 groups low. Could always repack power tool batteries with them.

Hey man get it to me in Ipswich and I’ll pull it down and check it over for you?

If this is still available I’d grab it