Are these wheels any good?

I think there is enough market around that size. I understand the cost of a new mould but someone should make it

1 Like

Thanks very much for the help

The Cal 7 wheels are excellent for the price. For you first build if your on a budget they are ideal. Iā€™ve had a set of Cal 7 90mm wheels and they have been very good. Buy them if they are within your budget.

1 Like

But always be mindful of the ā€œfree bearingsā€ offered with your wheels. Itā€™s always good to have spare bearings stashed in a box somewhere for emergency, for prototyping, or for the kids, but bad bearings will affect your ride as much as bad wheels.
When youā€™re pushing your board, you easily notice when your bearings get tired, dusty, seized and it makes pushing a pain in the ass. When youā€™re riding a powered board, and even more when itā€™s a comfortably powered one, you may not notice an extra drag, or ignore a squeak, until the bearing overheats and potentially melts your core, and your wheel is fā€™ed, and you need to buy another 4 pack of themā€¦

2 Likes

centrax by abec11. and I sell hub motors that go with them.1535333526565blob b

5 Likes

Haha yeah same! They are sitting in my cabinet of random parts. Little bit hard but other than that they worked great

All bearings are not created equal, the better ones have seals to keep the dirt out, not just covers, there is a difference. Having sealed bearings even if they are cheap is better than unsealed ones.

1 Like

What brand of reliable and best performing bearings would you recommend? Please dont say ā€œbonesā€ā€¦

Zealous and BONES

4 Likes

Argh!

1 Like

Bronson speed co.

3 Likes

Oh and reds

4 Likes

Bones Reds LoLz

No, for real. All jokes aside. You can spend a lot more but Iā€™m not sure the ROI is there. I just use Reds now, back to the basics.

If you didnā€™t have a motor on there then bearings would matter a lot more.

2 Likes

why not use a sealed bearing?

2 Likes

Have you tried zealous ceramics?

I use zealous ceramics with PTFE dry lube and two good sized glops of white lithium grease in mine and they still roll as smooth as the day I opened them up a year ago. I only paid $27, I think you will find they are a huge step up from bones reds. I have kept reds going for years, but only with shit tons more maintenance.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s that? is there a brand specific?

No its just a type of bearing, sealed vs shielded

1 Like

Looks like so many recommends for Zealous - should be it, I suppose. I keep hearing from some ā€œreviewsā€ that they are slow, and not for speed. Very confusingā€¦ Thanks anyhow.

1 Like

unless your bearing is actually fucked the percentage increase in rolling resistance is so insignificant compared to other factors, that there is like no point not running a sealed bearing

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if Iā€™m allowed to do thisā€¦ but Iā€™ll just copy and paste from another post from another forum :
Ok hereā€™s the deal with bearings and Eskate.

Bearings in generalā€¦ Donā€™t matter that much through all disciplines of skating.
I mean, they matter. But theyā€™re all 95% the same. And the cheap Chinese vbx bearings you can buy by the hundreds arenā€™t really going to be distinguishable from bones swiss without taking them off and reading the shields.

Most of the differences are invented to create marketing hype.

One such difference is free spin. Free spin may matter in a teeny tiny minority of incidences but one instance where it 100% does not matter is when you have a motor attached to your board doing the work for you.

Lots of skate specific bearings come with oil and thats to give them lower rolling resistance, because weā€™ve been become accustomed to think that is what feels better.

Eskate you donā€™t want that.
It is SO easy to heap on tons of miles on an eskate that a normal skater will never see. So basically the only purchase consideration for eskate builders, apart from cost, should be durability and longevity.

As far a ceramic is concerned, that difference is a matter of performance.
Performance that is completely non-applicable when youā€™ve got a motor.
And as far as Iā€™m aware there is no lifetime or durability benefits to ceramic.

What youā€™re probably going to want to focus on instead is the bearing Lube.
Lube is what keeps the bearing working, free of rust, free of wear, and its the thing that will keep your bearing rolling for many miles.

Oil gives lower rolling resistance, at the cost of not being as good at protecting the bearings, being more susceptible to washout, and needing to be replaced semi-frequently.

What you want is aluminum complex greases, mostly for their incredibly high water resistance.
Water damages the bearings directly by rust, but it can also wash out your lube causing them to go bad through wear. - CHAINMAILLEKID

2 Likes

I tested bearings on inline skates, where they matter way more than eskate.
Bones Swiss Super 6 vs. store brand china bearings - abso-fucking-lutely no difference.
No difference in longevity either. Putting a drop of bearing oil in them will make more difference than anything else.
Donā€™t bother with anything crazy expensive.

2 Likes