Are pneumatics really neccesary?

Starting a second build right now. Planning a 12s 40+mph monster.

On my current build, I’m running blue cags. Top speed of 33 mph and I have absolutely no issues with the ride. However, I have heard that pneumatics are essential at really fast speeds.

If I could, I’d run TB110’s 74A on this new build, but if this will be unsafe at 40+ I’ll need to reconsider. Should I be steadfast on pneumies?

One more thing, my current build is on a vanguard flex 3 and I have a hummie deck on the way for the new build. I don’t know how much the stiffness of the deck will contribute to degredation of the ride, but it makes me worried that running urethane will be dangerous if I hit a bump, etc.

thoughts? Thanks!

You don’t need them but they do massively increase comfort and traction. Barring offroad; if you don’t foresee a problem with either of those you can use nice 'thane wheels.

1 Like

This is the opposite actually, pneumatics are never going to be an even shape because of the air so there is a lot of vibration and wheel hopping. Not ideal for speed. You want thane for 40+

8 Likes

Also if you’re worried about hitting bumps and being injured, you shouldn’t ride at 40+. Stay within your skill level or win stupid prizes

12 Likes

It’s all preference, and the longer this thread stays up, you are just going to get a lot of opinions.

I like both. The both ride differently.

Take the downhill community, they are consistently over 40mph and they ride thane

5 Likes

Is it? No one really races big pnuematics. They’re genuinely just not good for 40+

5 Likes

Just because it’s your opinion doesn’t mean it’s right…like normal

3 Likes

Well maybe not 9" knobbies but 6 shooters must to spin fine if they’re on most of Dave’s raceboards. Not that those are braking 40 every race but I know sometimes they get a chance to go that fast.

4 Likes

It really depends on the roads. Streets around me are real shite so pnumies are necessary at speeds over 30. I like both Thane and pneumatics, but when I ride urethane I miss the smoothness of pneumatics, and when I ride pneumatics I miss the carvability of urethane.

3 Likes

Yes the smaller the pneumatic the better for speed

2 Likes

Pneumatics are good for dealing with rough roads or off roading it is a smooth ride relatively speaking but agree generally urethane is preferred otherwise, the pneumatics are lower efficiency and need to be balanced urethane is even material throughout so won’t suffer as much imbalance.

3 Likes

The way I see it, it all boils down to the Apocalypse. Would you rather run from zombies on thane or pneumatics?

2 Likes

In a car

4 Likes

Tough call really pneumies can pop and then you’re fighting off the board, urethane can chunk and you’re in the same boat fighting them off with your deck.

2 Likes

Until you reach the highway which is jam packed with stopped and crashed cars with no way to get through and a horde of zombies behind you forcing you to grab your esk8 from the back seat and ditch your car. In this case I go with pneumatics because you never know what screwed up roads/trails you have to ride to survive.

4 Likes

Good thought, but do you have spare tires? And how long to change them!

2 Likes

not to mention that pneumatics will cushion the blows if you are using your board as a weapon

1 Like

Let’s get a real authority on this in her:
@MoeStooge I recall reading somewhere that you don’t recommend 'thane for speed? Is that true?

3 Likes

hmm, in a perfect situation, id have a couple spare complete wheels and a 10 pack of tubes with a handy skate tool and hand pump in the bag

1 Like

i prefer pneumatic. i dont go that fast but i feel much safer doing 30 on them.

problems is that i cant trust the roads around here to be free of cracks and stones enough to be on thane, i have got street-face to many times before. Only problems is that now i can ride faster for longer i just want more range.

7 Likes