Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Personally I dislike main power fuses. Yes they will protect the vesc but in doing that will leave you with no brakes. They won’t stop a fire if the battery shorts so the only thing it is doing is creating a potential accident. Cell level fusing to stop thermal runway and a fuse on the charge port to protect your house.

4 Likes

I have no problem with FnF as long as your a trust worthy person like the bearded angel who doesn’t ride a unicycle.

When should I run detection on a gear drive?

Wheels off enough or before connection to gear?

I plug in the board, the port sparks, the light goes green…I know the damn thing isn’t charged yet, what do?

Edit: false alarm, after checking the cells and charger for shit stains and bad voltages and loss of continuity, I realized that outlet is blown

Does anyone know a good starting point for FOC sensorless open loop erpm so it doesn’t cog as much? Default is 400.

I need to solder extention cables on the Unity momentary switch. It has 24AWG cables. Can I use 26 or 28AWG to make the extension?

The colors on the Unity momentary switch are white, white, red, black. Do the extension cables need to be the same colors?

Hello bearhere and bienvenito!
Your first question is a good one. 24awg can handle more current than 26 or 28… but for this usage, will not change anything. Go for 26 or 28…
Second question, i was thinking of a joke, but if you ask that should be a good question…
Inside the wire is the same copper, independant of the wire color. So you can use any color… as long as you respect the wiring. It is just much easier to keep the right color.

4 Likes

Thank you! I was a bit hesitant to ask the second question. But while in the Noob thread I might as well just ask away and get it off my mind :wink:

3 Likes

When it comes to esk8ing, don’t forget that red is slightly faster than all other colors. :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Without anything connected to the motor; motor gear off.

1 Like

I hear @longhairedboy agrees.

1 Like

It’s true. Red is the fastest, highest performing color which is why i was glad to see giant red BMSs in the bioboards.

8 Likes

@McErono shipito or similar

1 Like

@mutantbass The rating tells you what your fuse can handle for an endless time. For short periods like 10s the fuse can handle more. If you buy a fuse they usually provide you with a fusing diagram. There you can check how much current this fuse can handle for how long. So best thing you find out which brand and model of fuse this anti spark use and than google for it.

1 Like

Is it normal to have your motors run and read in the apps different Screenshot_20190531-155156

@mmaner can we split to noobs thread and close this one?

2 Likes

ya i’m sorry i didn’t see the noob post till after i wrote this

1 Like

Mike took care of me! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

If I did that everytime I did a firmware upgrade especially in my MTB, I would have to take apart the whole gear drive.

I have done many motor detections both with the drivetrain connected and with only the motors.
The detected values are the same in both cases.

Here is Frank’s answer when I asked about it

Seems similar enough to me / within the margin of error. :+1: