Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Remember to loctite your bolts like i showed you!

2 Likes

What makes a good thermal pad that also has some good stick to it?

I’m trying to stick the maker-x dual esc to the inside of a bigben fibreglass enclosure.
I know it’s not much better, but should provide some thermal mass instead of cooking there inside and hanging from a velcro patch.
The enclosure is sealed, so no dust will make it’s way in anytime soon.

I’d say get some double-sided VHB tape from 3M and a thermal pad of the same thickness, and use a couple pieces of the VHB around the edges to hold the ESC to the enclosure with the thermal pad in the middle.

1 Like

It just so happens that i have double sided foam tape already and a thermal pad of unknown thickness on the way.

At the risk of making a mess, do you think adding cpu thermal paste to the heatsink will make any difference? Also, would the adhesive resist both temperature (~60°C) and vibrations (london roads… terrible)?

It depends on the tape. 3M VHB is ridiculously strong and tenacious.

Not that much? The way to get good thermal performance is to have as much clamping pressure as reasonably possible - hence the tapes of equal thickness. You don’t want the VHB thicker than the thermal pad because that would leave an air gap, and you don’t want the thermal pad thicker than the VHB because then the VHB won’t stick.

1 Like

Do you think motor mount adapters made to fit in the shoulder bolts of SR truckz would work for these?

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/trucks/73568/120-mm-bear-precision-2020-smokies-red-downhill-longboard-skateboard-trucks

@akhlut @moon

1 Like

Unlikely

1 Like

First question is what is the tool called to pry open these collar type things on motors. Second where can I by extra of these? I have 8mm shaft motors but I think these clamp on to a part that is more like 9mm or 10mm.

Third question is what are these called and where can I get them? Again they are for my 8mm shaft motors but seem to be on a part that is 10mm. They seem to be washers but I noticed they are not magnetic. So do they have a special name and are they necessary for the motors function?

1 Like

Snap ring pliers. Can get them at any auto parts store, harbor freight, or other tool store. You get what you pay for with snap ring pliers. Tips break on cheap ones.

1 Like

circlip tool

https://www.amazon.com/External-Circlip-Retaining-Shaft-Rings/dp/B013G215SO/ref=sr_1_7

https://www.amazon.com/MroMax-Stainless-External-Circlip-Retaining/dp/B07YBQXK8P/ref=sr_1_18_sspa

1 Like

Get 8mm ones. The groove cut into the shaft will be closer 7mm than 8mm so an 8mm one will fit perfectly. It will be tight af, but that’s the point

3 Likes

busy now. drive by answer. I watched the first vesc reconfig video. didn’t see anything done wrong.

I’m curious if your original config just had higher temperature cutoffs for the motors.

it would be good if you could get real time telemetry from a bluetooth module, and determine for certain which throttling you’re experiencing. ESC/Mosfet temp, motor temp or current limits.

I hesitate to say this, but if you’re careful as a temporary test you could set your motor temp cutoff start up to 100c and motor temp cutoff end to say 110c and see if that affects your throttling. if you weren’t throwing faults you weren’t hitting 100c. ( I’m assuming you’re set to 85c/100c now. ) so this will confirm it’s motor temp throttling you’re hitting or not.

1 Like

@BigBen might have some or @370HSSV possibly.

You could also check with @Sender although not sure he has just the enclosure.

1 Like

also just saw these: https://metro-board.com/e-skate-shop/carry-handle-metroboardx/

2 Likes

I just got launched from my board that was running a Unity. I was cruising at about 25mph and then the brakes slammed on. There were no shorts on the phase wires and the Unity still works. What should I investigate in order to find out what caused this? Can overheating of the Unity or motors cause this?

Also, is 85A for battery max too high? I’m running a 12s8p made with 30Qs so if I remember correctly, the battery can give 120A continous. Just not sure what the Unity can handle.

1 Like

I am experianceing same thing with dual focbox setup ive also had it pin the throttle for a short while god for bid i was bombing a hill

ur prob right as the newer ones run slight colder and have 100c cut off id think so it would only make sence for the old motors to run hotter as they clock the same

ill set the start at 95 and the cut off at 110c

110°C is a tad high

ill do start at 95 and end at 105