Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I’d go with like 4.5mm - basically the smallest you can get away with.

It really depends on the application though. If you’re relying on the screw holes as location holes too, you want them to be tighter than if you’ve got some other kind of registration features.

1 Like

I put 24 m4 screws in my non-flexible board. The holes in the enclosure are 4mm. I need some slack because it’s almost impossible to have them all alligned as they are now. :frowning:

Ehh, for an enclosure 5mm should be fine.

Just saying how I have mine set up. YMMV.

1 Like

I tend to agree with you, but I’m just a new guy.

are bigger motors more energy efficient? Thinking specifically a 6355 vs a 6374, and which would be more efficient for a street build (and riding only on roads]?

Cells have burst amp ratings for discharge e.g. 10A constant, 15A burst for 10 seconds, but what about for charge?

Can it work the same, taking the above example maybe 4A constant, 6A burst for 10 seconds?

Why do I ask? Well, because brakes. Mostly we feather our brakes, but what if we want to lay it on and stop rn.

If I had a 10P pack of the above, would it be okay to set Regen at -60A max, knowing I won’t use it fully most of the time?

It depends on the load. Each motor has an efficiency curve that starts at zero at no load and rises to whatever the peak is, then falls again when overloaded. If you’ve got a small motor that is being pushed past its maximum efficiency point, then a larger motor will likely be more efficient.

However since a larger motor will have proportionally more parasitic losses, going bigger isn’t necessarily better if you’re not actually utilizing the extra headroom it affords.

TLDR if you’ve got a 1Kw motor and go up to a 1.5Kw, it won’t do you any good if you’re only running either at 500w.

1 Like

Yeah, but most cell manufacturers don’t test/rate for that behavior.

A couple seconds of higher charge current is fine, as long as it’s not right at full charge already.
As in, don’t go down a hill if your battery is full. If you live on a hill, set your charger a volt or two low to give yourself a bit of buffer.

1 Like

Lots of cells have a fast charge rate of 2 or 3C that’s fine to charge long term, just lowers the life of the cell. Graphenes/high performance lipos can be charged at 10-15C without reducing their life too much.

So, here’s the thing. If the cells aren’t getting too warm, and you aren’t over volting your cells, I don’t think you’re in any danger. You’re just reducing life cycle (worth it for better brakes). From what I’ve seen, 25-50% of the real C discharge rating has been reliable. I tune all of my skates to where I can lock up the wheels on full brake.

2 Likes

awesome.

mine can… but will i use it? i don’t know. My battery could do 210A max discharge but since i have my diebiems for charge and discharge, i can only use 80-90A so 40 per esc. but if one day i bypass the diebie then yea, double the oomph

210A battery series connections are some pretty serious ones

1 Like

yep haha. built like a tank by @tinp123. but as i said i doubt i need that, especially with my average weight of 65kg with gear.

2 Likes

0.2mm thick, around 120mm wide and only 25mm long nickel for series. if that would be good enough for continuous 210A, I don’t think so. but impossible to draw as much.
some efoil builders use 6awg wires between esc and battery, and battery can give up to 150-200a max. They don’t like any heat or losses in wires.
for mountainboard, I believe 10 awg is enough.

2 Likes

agreed! but built like a tank nonetheless for our purpose :wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@tinp123 is the man!

2 Likes

awwww guys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I know this isn’t quite the right place, but I want to adress as much people as possible, also I don’t really know where a better suited place would be:
I bought a defective 4.12 VESC from AliExpress. I confirmed receiving the order which sadly starts a 15 day countdown after which you can’t open a dispute anymore.
I reached out to them anyway, thinking it was just a waste of time - I really didn’t expect anything from them.
But!!!

No matter how this will turn out - I’m really happy with this experience. Remember - they are doing this voluntarily now! I will hope for the best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All they’ve done so far is reply to you. They won’t be replacing your unit, they will string you along then blame it on you. I wouldn’t bother

1 Like

I had to file an Aliexpress dispute only once for a defective pair if cheapo bluetooth airpods.
Although the seller was an asshole, aliexpress stepped in and decided completely in my favour.
This is different though since the 15 day limit has expired but you never know.

4 Likes