Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

how does this section work?

there are metal bars going across, soldered together in series.

2 Likes

hey dose battery regan make up a lot of heat for hub motors ?

I don’t have enough hills to test it. But riding uphill obviously creates more heat. :smiley:

well my motors whill do -20 back to the motor, im wondering if i cut that inhalf if it will help the over heating prob of the rspec drive kit

well we are talking about the rspec drive. Just looking at it heats it up…

yeah ive bin told, they do rip thoo ill say that and rn i think are a solid buy as u can get it way cheaper then direct drive 2nd hand

1 Like

Check the vesc’s logs. Is it the hubs themselves overheating, or the vescs?

lol xD
2 things
I need set correct thermal parameters as im not sure how to

and I wanna increase my longevity of the motors as they are irreplaceable any suggestions

Okay, a couple suggestions then.

• ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER. This is a technical forum, not a chatroom. You can take the three seconds to spell a word correctly. This helps us to be able to actually understand you and offer proper advice.

• Be more specific about what you want, and provide information from the start to help us help you. If we don’t have info, we can’t give advice.

• Check your vesc settings. You can set thermal limits for both the vesc itself and the motors, assuming they have temperature sensors.

• Check your vesc logs. You can see how hot your shit is getting.

• The regen current setting only applies when you’re braking. If your shit is throttling when you’re not braking, then changing your regen current won’t help.

11 Likes

12s3p molicell p42 pack with 2.4 gear drive Ratio and 110mm TB wheels. 2x 6374 170kv

I am 79kg, would it sag too much or would it be acceptable?

Thanks

These are the settings in vesc-tool related to thermal throttling.

motor setttings -> general -> temperature:

mosfet/esc cutoff start/end
motor cutoff start/end

when the temperature hits one of the start temperatures current starts getting increasingly throttled ( by scaling duty cycle) until it hits the end temperature at which point it throws a fault.

If you’re getting throttling. you need to know wether it’s ESC or motor temp throttling. ( or something else fooling you. like. not having enough amps to maintain torque at higher rpm)

2 Likes

fukkin love ya m88 il

1 Like

You actually run your settings that high? Seems a bit hot to me but not sure what spec sheet says is still good operating temp.

That’s the defaults from opening up VESC tool.

but actually my boards are set fairly close to that. 80c instead of 85. on 6374 sealed motors. like maytechs.

what are you running @wafflejock and on what motors?

1 Like

ill do the same

lower numbers are safer. and fit your goal of reducing heat on your hub motors.

you should find out what’s a normal setting for rspec hubs.

Huh I have mine set at like 65C I wonder if I was just having a paranoid day or did that accidentally anyway will check out spec sheet and bump that for sure. In winter it’s no problem at all here but getting warm now and started hitting the limit I have set now pretty easily.

throwing them into the nearest landfill sounds about right. Then perform five hail skatans for even having them touch you

Clarification: I do not condone simply throwing out electronics and I urge everyone to recycle as much of their e-waste as possible.

4 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with 3d printing bearing spacers. I have noticed that e-toxx does it on their gear drives. Feels just wrong!
but it would be very handy…