Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I think I figured it out? These will tack onto the end of the cell blocks. Should I have a bullet to XT adapter or extend and reterminate the Unity?

1 Like

With Lipos when you connect two 6s ones does it turn into 12s2p? With Li-ion connecting in series wouldn’t effect the in parallel numbers but how does it work with Lipos? Do you get more power and range is what I’m asking I guess. Or do you have to have 4 to get more range?

Lipos are the same in that it would not double the parallel when connecting in series. You are connecting two 6s1p packs in series to create one 12s1p pack. The range depends mostly on the mah of your lipos.

Ok gotcha. looking at 12000mAh but could probably do 16k or 20k I want some decent range

In the sk8 calculator on here would the ah entry be 12 vs 12000 on those?

12Ah is 12000mAh

0.012Ah is 12mAh

1 Like

Man you are everywhere thanks. Yeah that helps with the range. Im showing 29 miles now. Thats right where I want to be.
the 14000 tatuu that was recc’d somewhere has a higher C rating (24 and 50 vs 12 and 24) what does that effect?

im writing up a parts list now using your guide and want to post to see what ppl think. Is it ok to post a new topic asking that stuff? I see one and it looks like a lot of ppl helped

1 Like

You multiply the C rating with the current to get burst current.

10C for a 10A battery will allow for momentary burst current of 100A = 10C * 10A.

Yup! Make it into a build thread

Those Tattus are huge. I have 2 of those sitting waiting to be used because of how big they are.

What build are you going for? Generally, pouch lipos aren’t recommended. We tend to like 18650 or one of the bigger variants because they’re safer

Go bullet to XT. What I ended up doing. Makes it more modular and you should have enough space to do so in your setup. XT is more common so having adapters for bullet and keeping the unity on XT is to your advantage

1 Like

yeah i did see they are way longer. Im going for a MTB so ill match the junction box to it. So those are considered pouch lipos? Is the other kind graphene? I haven’t come across any specific reccs on those. What makes them less safe? Im liking the pricing of 2 lipos but if they are gonna set on fire im not down with that

Oh and when you say make it into a build thread do you mean a standalone one or is there already a thread for ppl to check builds?

You can make a thread dedicated to a single build to ask relevant questions and record/share progress

2 Likes

https://forum.esk8.news/c/diy-builds/10

1 Like

They’re susceptible to punctures and deformation and have much more violent response.

Like a top mounted box?

Pouch lipos refer to the form factor. Any lipo where the chemistry is located within a pouch is considered a pouch lipo. Graphene is not form factor but a variant of the chemisty. Other form factors are the 18650 or cylindrical cells. Think AA and AAA batteries.

For the price of the 2 Tattus, you can get a very nice 12S4P which is a great starter. What do you plan to do with your board? Average cruising or mountain riding with bindings?

Yeah start a completely new thread and document your build :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow yeah that doesn’t look fun. Great info.
Yeah top mounted enclosure.
Since I got my meepo v3 (first eboard) last summer most bike paths around me are gravel or dirt which it obviously cant handle but they look so much fun. So I want to take it on light gravel and dirt and maybe some woods paths. Pretty much something that can handle whatever catches my eye on an adventure. I do want some bindings and might work up to some small jumps when I get comfortable.

1 Like

Hmm I would go with cylindrical cells if the board is going to see that much action. A properly padded waterproof box could contain lipos too

Removed the metro-board link because it’s a flat pack and not box configuration

1 Like

Yeah I saw that sale. I guess I dismissed the idea bc they don’t have the 20 miler in thick but yeah I see the 35 mile thick might work.

Who’s sellin’ $300 12S4P 30Q packs?

Lipos are pretty safe in a top mounted box. There are other reasons to choose liion, but high discharge is not one of them.

2 Likes

That 35mi pack would be pushing 25A/motor, max. Not enough for an MTB, imo.

2 Likes

It’s more than $300 if you can’t pick up directly. I think I paid close to $400 after the hazard ground shipping

Yeah it’s not 30Q but still a decent pack for daily use. Could always build your own too :wink:

Edit: @RyEnd, was totally wrong. Pulled up the invoice and for 2, I paid $320. Felt like more for some reason though haha