Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Thanks for the frame of reference! Might be because I live in a very flat place. (Or maybe settings which are 40a/-40a). Iā€™m wondering if it will get better once I get a new tube. One of mine only holds air for like 20 minutes of riding. It doesnā€™t really seem to be an issue, I donā€™t hear or feel a difference when it is flat from when I start.

@RyEnd
Iā€™m mostly curious about how much this deflated tube is affecting the ride, because its hard to tell while riding. Might be affecting my ESC temp though for all I know. I was in the 160s Fahrenheit.

Sounds about right. My hubs are around 23wh/mi using 6in at 60PSI on relatively flat runs.

PSI will more or less influence your efficiency. Reason being the higher the psi, the harder the wheels which makes them ā€œcloserā€ to thane wheels.

If youā€™re running Aliexpress AT, they can pretty much be ridden completely flat :stuck_out_tongue: Youā€™ll get horrible efficiency though

Not specifically regarding that individual ā€“ but really not hearing about failures is a very, very, very poor indication that things arenā€™t failing.

Some other things that can cause that are: lack of hard use, simply not mentioning it, being embarrassed, blaming self, mentioning it in other places, or simply not enough time to write up about things that failed.

Just today I had a wheel bearing fail, and I had no plans to do a write up about it.

2 Likes

@MoeStooge how long can an SRB go between lube jobs

2 Likes

Mario was set @ 80% power to reduce his overall top speed at the hill.
Amp will spike 180a from dead stop start-up hard accel uphill on Take off. It quickly settles to 90-120a for the rest of the acceleration to get to top speed depending on rider weight, hill and size of balls.

6 Likes

Reliability is everything when your going 50+ mph.

That video was awesome! You can see I take off right next to Mario on the line but once I hit 32 mph, I maxed out my top speed and everyone just overtakes like bullets flying by!

Gots make some higher kv hummie hubs. At least 40 mph. Hard to ever compete though when guys like Mario do the mid 50ā€™sā€¦

4 Likes

Whatā€™s the reason for going higher voltage? I know for the same power output, higher voltage means less current (and in theory less heat) but thatā€™s not the only reason/pro is it?

I ask because Iā€™m also building an electric bike (I know, this isnā€™t the right forum but I like yā€™all better :wink: ) but it seems like most people go higher than 12S?

1 Like

An ESCā€™s power dissipation limit is typically measured in flow/current. A motorā€™s power/wattage intake is flow/current multiplied by pressure/voltage.

If you raise the voltage, you can increase the amount of power sent to the motor without increasing the load on the ESC and without increasing losses in wires, et cetera.

However, at a point you reach the voltage limits of the ESC. I only run mine at 70% (aka 10S on a FOCBOX et cetera) for reliability reasons, but most folks run them at 84% (12S on FOCBOX et cetera).

The higher voltage also increases the top speed, but you could simply adjust the motor Kv accordingly to cancel out that phenomenon while designing the vehicle.

2 Likes

Is this referring to power as power or power as heat?

Ah so the goal is to keep current the same throughout all voltages to increase output without increasing losses?

Yeah there is a higher top speed thatā€™s true but I would assume more current is require to reach the higher top speed or is that more or less dependent on a case to case basis

1 Like

Well, technically the limit is by temperature, and current is what causes the temperature increase. Voltage does not cause an elevated ESC temperature.

For example, if an ESCā€™s output FETs are rated at Rds = 1.5mĪ© then the power dissipated inside the FET will be based only on the current flowing through it, as the voltage is obtained from Ohmā€™s law V = IR where I is the current flow and R = 1.5mĪ©. Thus the power dissipated internally (P = IV) would be proportional to the square of the current flow. Increasing the voltage does not increase the heat dissipation.

1 Like

Sweet, hope to get some more efficiency out of this once my tubes get here. theyā€™re torqueboard wheels but Iā€™m betting its not that different.

2 Likes

Okay I must be going about this the wrong way then because after contacting my local UPS store and then getting connected to their UPS Hazmat hotline the hazmat employee told me that if the battery is over 300WHr which the Boosted Revā€™s is 370 he told me I would need to have a dangerous goods contract with UPS because it is a class 9 level battery or something. Proceeding to tell me I would need to take some online hazmat training, that is not offered through them, that would then permit me to file this contract with UPS. The training would teach me what UN number to put on the battery. Also, in order to ship the battery it would need to go ground but be picked up from the address in which the person that took the training lives (or works I assume). So I would need the person that is selling me the battery to do this or else they could not ship to me. Idk if this guy was wrong or what but it seems like too much red tape for me to convince my seller to cut through for this one sale. If anyone knows that this guy is wrong please let me know. Lol

inb4 someone suggests just not telling them

Disclaimer: I neither suggest this, nor condone it

1 Like

Iā€™m practicing my XT-60 soldering. It looks like shit but when I tug to see if the wire will come out, I find that it is totally stuck to the connector, which seems promising. Can this still be a cold solder despite being stuck to the metal part of the connector?

1 Like

Yes. A cold joint can stand up to a tug test and still be a cold joint. Lots of heat and some extra solder and flux are recommended.

When soldering XT connectors, it is recommended to insert a mating plug to prevent the bullets from moving while hot.

5 Likes

Post some high-resolution pics in here and we can let you know what we see.

3 Likes

Are the 50ml loctite bottles always this empty?

Its only filled to where it says Medien strength^^

Seems like loctite needs to have air in the bottle so it doesnā€™t harden.

5 Likes

Yes mine is like that too.

3 reasons I can think of.

Itā€™s a 100ml bottle with only 50ml sold

its to trick the customer into thinking he gets a full bottle

Your idea

5 Likes

Nothing works better than a well lubed gear drive. I started by using lithium then high Tack chain lube.
It all slings off quickly and attracks debris. Today we donā€™t lube.
Eventually will make a wet case for grease containment. Any gear system would run better in it.

We wore out our first pinion last year on the V2. It was rode and raced on dirt, gravel, sand and street.
I switched to mod 1.5 May 2018. It was origional and wore out testing the 155 metro tire Nov 2019.
Spurs still look great. Hardened steel on hardened steel is as strong as it gets.

6 Likes

Too late.

1 Like