Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

@MoeStooge runs high kV motors (800 kV) with a 8S lipos setup. Why? What are the advantages and disadvantages compared to usual builds I see that have 170 to 200 kV motors paired with 10s or 12s batteries.

I noticed he runs gear drives too. Could I mimic his setup but with belt drive?

1 Like

There are several reasons why inrunners make for better race setups, off the top of my head:

• inrunners are more efficient than outrunners at full-throttle
  • inrunners have less reciprocal mass than outrunners, since the heavy part spinning is closer to the center of rotation like a gyroscope, the rotational mass impedes acceleration/deceleration for/aft & in the yaw axis, which slows a racer riding through the track
  • the heat generated by the resistance losses in the copper windings are on the outer edge of the motor can, where they can be better dissipated into the cooler outside environment

you & i may not experience these benefits to the same extent when pootling around town, as opposed to riding balls-to-the wall like moeā€™s racers do

there are certain downside to using inrunners, that his racers donā€™t experience to the same extent that you and i would:

• inrunners with similar part-throttle efficiency to outrunners require very short gearing, ratios that are either not feasible or require less efficient multi-stage reduction
  • despite any best efforts, these inrunners will have poor low-speed efficiency compared to outrunners
  • very short gearing requires such small pinions that htd5m belts wonā€™t have sufficient engagement to prevent skipping. the metal-on-metal geardrive might be needed, but an open gear metal-on-metal setup requires very frequent regreasing

his racers are happy to ride setups with higher speed than you and i are comfortable with. they are happy to regrease before every race. they dgaf about low speed and part-throttle efficiency. you & i may feel differently about these challenges

@rusins identified this inrunner as a potential candidate for general purpose esk8
https://flipsky.net/collections/e-skateboard/products/brushless-dc-motor-56115
however it requires a very wide hanger for use in a dual drive application

6 Likes

Can I use the Mamba XLX ESC (instead of VESC based ESC) with a Torqueboards 170 kV motor (outboard motor?).

Itā€™s limited to 8s LIPOS (can I make up for that somehow?). Iā€™m assuming Moe uses the Mamba XLX for some reason even though there is voltage limitations.

you can use it if you want but 8s on kv of 170 may be a little too sedentary for your liking

i think castle honors warranty claims for users who limit themselves to 260amps. there isnā€™t a vesc based design in such a small package that you can bet your race finish on

2 Likes

I havenā€™t used the Mamba ESCs but in theory you should be able to, but using a 170Kv motor on 8S lipo will not have a very high top speed

moe uses 800 kV with 8s lipos. Why does that work for him? Strictly gear ratios? Higher current (amps) than normal? I guess Iā€™m asking how voltage and amps impact motors. I know volts determine how fast motor spins (kV x volts = rpm), but what does current (amps) do?

1 Like

Itā€™s a Turnigy 6354 260KV

1 Like

Voltage and amps dictate a lot of things. You donā€™t really want to be look at those units though. You want to look at Watts or power output. Power is given by P = IV. It takes into account both voltage and amperage. Reason why power output is the better unit to look at is you could have a slow motor (Ie low voltage) that is able to handle a huge amount of current and you could have a fast motor (ie high voltage) that canā€™t handle a lot of current but give the same power out.

Generally speaking, voltage = motor speed, amperage = torque and heat.

3 Likes

If you are optimizing for top speed, maybe look into what Moe does.

What are you optimizing for?

There are many things, including but not limited to

• reliability
  • size
  • weight
  • cost
  • stealth
  • nimbleness
  • range
  • power
  • speed
  • appearance
  • hipness/svelte/trendiness

Each additional thing you add reduces the other things you already have.

For example, I typically optimize for reliability and nimbleness above all else, which yields things that look very different from what Moe does, which appears to optimize for speed:

7 Likes

I could answer this, but I will deflect to @hummieee as he can give a much better answer :smirk:

2 Likes

I donā€™t have a goal, Iā€™m just curious about how Moeā€™s setup worksā€¦

Everyone here uses lower kV motors (compared to Moe) and 10s or 12s batteries (higher volts).

In general, Moe has high kV motors and 8s batteries (lower volts) on his raceboards which have both speed and acceleration. So why doesnā€™t everyone go with his setup?

Sorry if Iā€™m asking too many questions and ā€œnot getting itā€. I donā€™t have EE background and google and search function hasnā€™t helped much.

1 Like

One limit is when using HTD5M belts, which are cheap, work great, easy to work on, reliable, et cetera, the minimum pulley size is recommended to be 15 teeth. At such high Kvs youā€™d need ratios like 15/188 and 188 tooth pulley wonā€™t fit on a wheel, so youā€™d need a ratio like 3/40 and a 3 tooth pulley wonā€™t function.

Moe uses steel gears at a very steep reduction (tiny motor gear, huge wheel gear), which is great if youā€™re using high Kv motors AND have a machine shop AND donā€™t rely on your skates to get to work or anything. It works well for his circumstances.

5 Likes

No need to apologize for that, this thread and forum are here for this exact purpose :metal:

There is a donate button in the top header :wink: as itā€™s free of advertisements and costs real money to operate

6 Likes

Iā€™m getting about 20 wh/mi, using AT wheels, 10s5p/6374 motors. Does this sound normal?

Iā€™d say thatā€™s within the range of ā€œnormalā€. Why do you ask?

It makes me jealous. I do 30 - 42 wh/mi on AT 10s5p/6374 motors. depending on how I ride.

Knowing what your motors capable amp and volt limit is will determine what watt output it is capable of. The Sss 5694 motor I run is 200amp 12,000 watt rated at 60volt. The amp rating limit does not change with voltage.
We run this motor at 200a 6ā€™000w 30volt. 1/2 the power capable and half the Revolution per minuite.

Our setup can be dialed down to a beginner level 14mph with a very soft and forgiving throttle and brake, even with 70mph final drive gearing.
Here is a clip from our last race at the start. SRB team rider Mario on 8s 800kv 67/11 gear 155mm tire with esc set at 80% power to limit the tall gearing the 155mm tire gave us.
Plug in the numbers
( calc.esk8.it)
To the right is Hoyt AWD, Hummie AWD and other nasty dual DIY entries.
The best of hubs, belts and gears on the planet all at the hill.

5 Likes

This is actually One of Moeā€™s top priorities in his boards. They are some of the most reliable boards Iā€™ve seen. @moestooge

If I remember correctly almost every part on his board is run at less then 80% their max.

3 Likes

80% is really high.

Iā€™d run everything at 50% if I could. I typically aim for 50% when it comes to cell and ESC currents if possible.

Other things itā€™s hard to get in those areas because very few parts suppliers seem to treat esk8 parts as a form of automotive engineering. These arenā€™t toys if youā€™re riding them, they are motor vehicles.

2 Likes

I meant the max he runs is 80% which is his 8s voltage which he tuned down to 80% or lower depending on the rider. I see what you mean though, the only time I have heard of something on his board failing was when he was running very high kv (1200kv?) on his old board and burned one of his ESCā€™s up coming to a stop. Other then that I havenā€™t heard of anything failing.