Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Thanks
Awesome of you to say so

1 Like

I agree with Bill :slight_smile:
Thanks for trying to help everyone as good as you can bud

Iā€™ll answer my own question so that people stumbling across this, having the same question donā€™t have to look for it for so long:

The answer is Adafruit libraries. The documentation is just sweet.
For 128 x 32 and 128 x 64 OLED Displays, you are going to use the Adafruit SSD 1306 and Adafruit GFX library. Documentation can be found googling these two libraryā€™s names.
Bitmaps are used to create logos/icons.

3 Likes

Is that detection wizard or trying to drive the board?

why do you have both fender washers and flat washers on under the same bolt heads?

also for the people who were wondering what i wanted the cable for is that i can program the vesc without opening the enclosure as both uart ports are already in use

1 Like

Thatā€™s me trying to drive the board. Detection runs smoothly but only from the welcome wizard tab. Individual setup of each side results in failed Hall sensor detection.

Also really really weird is that when it does work smoothly from the remote, reversing a motor absolutely wrecks it.

Also running FWD and REV from vesc tool just doesnā€™t work at all.

Iā€™m very confused about the situation and kind of scared to go with it.

Stupid reasons. Didnā€™t have the right length hardware and the hardware that was long enough isnā€™t fully threaded so I added normal washers for just that little more height and also because it has a larger area

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, Iā€™ve been watching too many ebike videos the past few days. The torque and speed it seems theyā€™re able to deliver almost makes me want to build one lol.

One of the few things keeping me from taking it steps further, is not having enough use for it. Iā€™d much rather spend my cash on something Iā€™d use much more regularly. Also just PITA to use as actual transportation compared to my other options. Just my opinion.

However seems like a lot of the high power ebikes are very similar. Video as an example:

Itā€™s usually the same frame, 8000W motor (most of them say itā€™s a 12Kw or 17Kw Ebike, but my conclusion so far have been that they are definitely not talking about the motor lol. Or else itā€™s peak power.), 20S battery, Sagevon speed controller or some other high amp. Pretty much parts you can find on chinese websites.

I think I calculated cost to be like 2K usd, but please donā€™t call me out on it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Most likely higher.

2 Likes

@b264
As Brian stated there are some emerging esc. My experience with NeoBox was with pre-production and stand by my review of its functionality. However to my knowledge full production units have not been shipped/received. I believe @xsynatic has experienced extraordinary shipping challenges, which may be related to the current pandemic however should be considered when buying any product shipped from china at the moment.

4 Likes

Be careful! It looks exactly like the symptoms mine gave before it burnt out. Detection unsensored went okay, then it did not spin at all during the next stage where i set direction. I tried the keyboard, it cut out instantly every time, then i tried the wizard buttons. That doesnā€™t seem to have a failsafe and it tried to spin it until a whole row of mosfets and possibly the drv fried

1 Like

This was detection sensored. Iā€™ve checked all the parameters to make sure theyā€™re within limits and ran it multiple time without issue. I donā€™t see a spike in current, nothing is hot, or anything else either :confused: But yeah, I am not really getting a response when I try to set my direction

Hereā€™s a video of detection from the Welcome Wizard Tab. Everything looks and runs smooth here

1 Like

Is there a vesc reverse mode thatā€™s just reverse but with a limited speed? ie regular current mode. but limit reverse speed.

I really hope we are both missing something in the settings. What firmware are you using?

1 Like

I went from 3.65 to 4.1 just to get it to clear detection. This is on vesc tool 2.02. I may upgrade the tool again just to see but donā€™t want to go further than what my DaVega can do

1 Like

Check the maker-x thread.

1 Like

Not sure this is the right thread to ask this but can someone recommend a US source for a kegel based pulley to possibly be used with a ownboard bamboo gt and 110mm tb wheels?

1 Like

thats way up there haha.

i was more thinking about that:

csm_Bosch-eBike_systemuebersicht-AL-bike_city_ac2e560141

a regular electrified bike to get me somewhere in my city without having the risk of losing my board again. Something legal you know?

2 Likes

Iā€™m about to update firmware on a ESCape. if vesctool says itā€™s currently hw60. then thatā€™s the right one. right? pretty sure. just tripple checking. because thereā€™s 60_mk3 and 60_mk4.

It pisses me off every time i see those of you at risk of losing your boards. :frowning:

3 Likes

Wait what have I missed? :frowning:

Iā€™m not entirely sure what you mean. Could you explain?

But if itā€™s a regular electric bike, one of those eBay kits might do the job? Donā€™t know how reliable they are, but Iā€™ve seen tons of videos with them. And I believe theyā€™re like 500 usd max. Again please donā€™t call me out on it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like