Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

I cant get the sensor extensions to work, screw it Iā€™m playin with bldc

If youā€™re feeling adventurous, the new HFI mode offered with the latest vesc tools is also an option.

2 Likes

What type of fabric is best for a deck with epoxy and frit ?

Sounds pretty cool, maybe one day once Iā€™m willing to let this ESC possibly fry. For now BLDC or maybe even FOC unsensored and Iā€™m gonna work on making better hall sensor extensions, I think I need a proper crimp tool.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what would have happened if these hall sensors had came disconnected while I was riding it rather than on my table?

Is there any kind of thing similar to memory foam that i can put in the enclosure to keep my battery extra safe? Eva foam is stiff af.
I just donā€™t want to hear rattling inside and wonder what came loose this time. Any thermal conductivity is a bonus

I canā€™t imagine why anyone would ever say this unless itā€™s not for an esk8.

Carry on, as you were. :+1:

At least you know what you want. Thatā€™s a struggle many times.

Didnā€™t @Dareno or someone have a video or at least a link to one? Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

1 Like

Not a pro builder, just another noob here lurking but neoprene is not stiff at all:

https://www.amazon.com/10-Piece-Neoprene-Sponge-Adhesive-AUSPA/dp/B074NYHSV1/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Adhesive+Foam+Pads&qid=1588314003&sr=8-8

@b264
Brian, through searching old posts Iā€™ve noticed that you often talk about how sensorless is more reliable. What happens when sensored set ups have a hall sensor wire disconnect? Right now Iā€™m debating on trying to make flimsy JST connections work or just run withoutā€¦

1 Like

That motor stops working usually. Or it still works but only when going really fast, or only a small fraction of the power.

Yikes, so like the evolve faceplant kind of stop working?

1 Like

Not usually that kind, no.

1 Like

Donā€™t panic brother. If a hall sensor fails then the motor will just not accelerate smoothly from a dead stop. If one hall sensored motor still works then that is usually enough to orientate the non sensored one and off you go. If though the array shorts then that can have some more dire effects.

I had a sensor pcb disintegrate within the motor due to a bad bearing and it killed the esc associated with that motor. This is as rare as rocking horse shit though so again donā€™t panic.
It was also not determined whether a piece of metal fragment from the bearing shorted the phases. There are all sorts of lovely things that can cause you pain lol

All the sensors do is tell the esc where the motor is at any given time so they are not necessary if you roll first but now with HFI they are redundant. Just another thing to go wrong.

@b264 Not me on the vid but I have taken them apart.

5 Likes

I already wasnā€™t using sensors and dealing with the ā€œhip flicksā€ that are performed starting an unsensored skate.

But now that HFI exists, and hip flicks are no more, I canā€™t really find any reason to recommend using sensors. Cut the sensor wire off your motor when you get them.

Sure, you feel like youā€™re fucking up a perfectly good motor. But skating with it does that anyway. What youā€™re really doing is saving yourself time and heartache and youā€™ll never know later if your skate is still running because you did that, as opposed to broken on the workbench, but I can tell you one of the most frequent types of failures Iā€™ve had over the years are failed motor sensors.

Just cut the wire. Itā€™s worth it. It doesnā€™t feel right, but it is. Snip, snip. Youā€™re saving time, hassle, and possible injury.

Just make sure you donā€™t accidentally cut one of the big 3 phase wires.

3 Likes

proof that I follow my own advice

4 Likes

this is sounding like the esk8 vasectomy

1 Like

Thanks fellas, HFI definitely seems like the future. I do wanna experience this alleged smoothness of FOC sensored for a bit though, so I appreciate the confidence boost on that disconnect situation.

2 Likes

What micro USB port can I use to attach to the outside of the enclosure

I canā€™t fit a standard one does any have a L shaped one or no where to get one

Thanks

iz it always this boring at 4am PST?

5 Likes

Anyone ever called the banggood online support?
Taking it into consideration because of this:
I told them 2 parts were broken (a FTDI chip for 1ā‚¬ and the DAVEGA clone for 25ā‚¬).
After one or two days they said they could refund me for the item. There was a link to the 1ā‚¬ chip.

Then I replied and kindly asked to propose something for the davega clone which was 25 times the price of the stupid FTDI xD

No response for 3 daysā€¦

Seems like this will go forever.

So, anyone ever had a dispute and solved it via calling there?
Also does anyone know where itā€™s located?