Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

No but if it turns the wrong way round then swap two

2 Likes

Unless you want to reverse direction in vesc tool, you need to check and make sure they spin the motor the same way.

1 Like

So I can connect any of the 3 to any other of the vesc phase cables?

Also does the middle one have to be correct?

Are you talking Vesc 6.6 with 6 phase wires or Just a 4.2? You can connect any phase wires to the 3 corrosponding on the Vesc in any order. If the motor turns the wrong way then if you change two wires, doesn’t matter which, the direction of rotation will change. Or with a Vesc, I’m pretty sure you can set it to reverse the direction of rotation.

1 Like

Is it possible to have wiring that connects two packs in series, convert to cutting the power to the ESC and charging in parallel when I pull the loop key?

e.g. I have a 10S1P pack made out of 2x 5S1P groups, that runs as 10S1P but cuts the power and converts to 2x 5S1P packs (maybe with separate charging ports, but one would be better) when I pull the loop key.

[edit] I’m not averse to the loop key being plugged in somewhere else to make the parallel charging possible. [/edit]

1 Like

Yeah vesc
Thank you very much

I have never worked out whether that needed to happen like that

1 Like

Let me get a functional board first and we’ll go on rides in weekends

2 Likes

I think this should be possible…
Give me a moment to sketch a diagram.

Edit: ok so it’s technically doable, but would require either two loopkeys for the parallel connections (inconvenient), a four pin charging connector (risk of shorting batteries if connected simultaneously with loopkey), or a relay setup (best option imo). I’ll add pictures of the diagrams in a sec.

1 Like

Ok @malJohann here’s the diagrams.

The upper one is for 4 pin charging / double loopkey charging, both of which are somewhat flawed solutions.

The lower is for a relay setup which could probably be drawn cleaner but should technically work. Note that if the loopkey is not installed in the charging slot or is installed in the series connection, only the battery pack marked with a dot will charge.

1 Like

Like the bottom one, if the relays can take the current and voltage for discharge. Where’s the ESC in all of this?

1 Like

Did anyone here build a remote around the Heltec Lora 32 already successfully?

Here’s a slightly different but functionally equivalent diagram with an esc added and stuff moved around for clarity.

You should be able to see that this is technically no different from the dual loopkey design, with relays in place of the extra loopkey slots.

HERE is a link to a lovely relay which I bought for my charge port safety project which I’ll be posting about soon (:wink:). You don’t need to worry about them handling discharge because as you can see they aren’t involved in the discharge path at all, only charging.

1 Like

You’re awesome! Thanks so much!

1 Like

No problem at all!
If you want to go the truly fancy route, you could do all of this without needing the loopkey to move at all, but that would require a very large discharge-capable relay where the loopkey would go and that would just be more trouble than it’s worth lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No worries, I like loopkeys being loopkeys, and want to retain the capability of manually cutting power to the ESC.

1 Like

Anyone got tips for cleanly creating holes/cutouts from an enclosure for XT90 and motor cables? I have an Eboosted Century 40 on the way and want to make sure I have all i need for this part of the build ahead of time. I plan on using an XT90 loopkey and was also curious about what are used for sleeves on motor cables (Are these necessary or cosmetic?).

1 Like

For XT90’s you could use a panel mount as long as you have a flat side on your enclose. Look on thingiverse and search Xt90 panel mount. There are loads that you can 3D print for free or can find these on ebay.

Edit - For phase wires I’m using these Cable glands to make sure the enclose looks clean and is waterproof and am routing the wires with these cable tidy clamps.

1 Like

Hopefully will finish my second build soon then I will always have a spare
:wink:

Out of interest how old are you

1 Like
  1. You? @Halbj613
1 Like

15 turning 16 in the summer

Awesome

If you ever need anything be sure to ask
I have a bunch of tools and spare parts

2 Likes