Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

If you just go and buy cheap 2mm hex keys, youā€™re going to have a bad day.

Get a 2mm Wera Hex Plus key from the beginning. It will save you money in the end

3 Likes

Hi Iā€™m looking to build my first mountain board with a custom deck and enclosure, this is my idea as it stands what do you guys think? I Wonā€™t to be able to keep up a friends mtb who goes for 40-50mile rides all off road and some big old hills.

1. Deck. Handmade 1100mmx280mm 9xply
  2. Trucks. TRAMPAā€™s ULTIMATE TRUCK
  3. Wheels. 9 Inch MEGASTAR Hub BLACK
  4. Bearings. CERAMIC
  5. Tyres. PRIMO STRIKER - 9 Inch
  6. Grip tape ?
  7. Bindings ?
  8. Motors. Maytech Brushless 8085 160KV
  9. Motor mounts. Non
  10. Gear drives. FatBoy SS Drive HeavyDuty
  11. VESC. 1x 75/300
  12. BMS ?
  13. Power buttonā€¦ ?
  14. battery. 30q 14s10p
  15. Battery housings. custom
1 Like

Power button ā€œgenerallyā€ comes with the antispark switch which you will need (unless you prefer a loop key)
I suggest the first step would be to match your deck to your enclosure, then figure out how many batteries you can fit in what you have chosen, or whichever order, these 3. It sucks to have everything bought and find out the enclosure wonā€™t work.

1 Like

Looks like interesting build!
So you gonna build mtb with single motor? Only one wheel drive?
Also, 14s and 75V vesc is interesting choice.
14s10p is quite big battery, plan your enclosure bearing that in mind

1 Like

Thank you brotha ! Sorry for the confusion just wanted opinions

Yeah was going to built the deck and order tricks/wheels then make a enclosure to suit. What size battery do you guys suggest ?
Was going for two 8085 motors with the 3DServisas heavy duty gears. So two rear wheels driving the power. VESC mounted on the back to give more room for battery+bms.
Hoping to do a under body enclosure, similar to a lonestar!

hey thanks. yeah i think i was loooking at those ebay dark wood boards . Just not sure if my trucks wheel and motor moung combo will fit a drop deck with drop through truck mount. Got this board used or i prob woul of just went direct drive

1 Like

You can top mount any deck, so good to have options.

is there a solvent or heat process i can use to easily remove grip tape thatā€™s covering a skateboard, without damaging the wood or stain under the grip tape?

Hairdryer does wonders. Griptape gets very soft in seconds. If youā€™re left with glue residue, thereā€™s solvents for that. Even wd40 or isopropyl alcohol works but i canā€™t tell what the effects on the wood will be

2 Likes

You know that you will then need 2 of those vescs

One vesc powers 1 motor

Does the VESC 75/300 not power both motors?

1 Like

no 10dabs

2 Likes

@Athrx Hell, even digital calipers are cheap. I got my Chinese set for like $11 and they work fine.

2 Likes

Hi guys, Iā€™ve been trawling through a few threads about VESCs and thought iā€™d come here again for a little input.

At the moment I have two HobbyKing 150A ESCā€™s as my first build was cheap and always had the idea of upgrading to a VESC when I had the P.
Iā€™ve obviously heard of Flipskyā€™s stuff such as the Dual 6.6 and single 50A 4.2ā€™s. Also Maytech and now Neobox?

I have an offroad board, running two 6s, 10,000 mAh LIPO batteries in parallel, looking to change to series to boost up my voltage to 12s with 6364 190KV motors.

Iā€™ve heard mixed reviews about all VESCā€™s and was hoping that someone with a little more general knowledge would be able to point be in the right direction? I think iā€™d rather stick with two single VESCā€™s so that if I blow it I donā€™t have to fork out another Ā£200 for a whole new system.

Also, would anyone be able to advise me on the general current draw I may have on that setup? I weigh 75 KG and donā€™t know if iā€™d need to go with the 100A 6.6 rather than the 50A 4.2, especially as itll be used offroad a lotā€¦

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

How stupid is it to charge a single 18650 with this method? Connected to an imax b6.

I want to see if my cell is shot or my small liitokala charger is broken.

3 Likes

I do it all the time when I want to charge faster than my regular 18650 charger will do, or discharge, or measure capacity, or do a storage charge, yadda yadda.

1 Like

Do you have a 3d printed contraption or what do you use?

I have a couple 18650 holders I bought from Amazon, but a 3d printed one should work too as long as it makes good electrical and mechanical contact.

1 Like