Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Are the evolve gt street 83mm wheels standard abec core? They seem to be £20 on their site and it’s too good to pass on that, assuming they are decent

So I’m starting to purchase for my first DIY build, and my biggest trouble has been around picking the ESC to use. So far I’ve chosen the Haggy Drivetrain with 190Kv motors and landed on a quote from a battery builder for 12S4P with 40Ts.

What is a good ESC for this setup?

Flipsky 6.6 dual has me worried with issues I’ve heard on these forums. The Maker X may not be enough oomph for the parts I’ve chosen so far? any thoughts on those assumptions?

I’ve also been peeking the neobox’s mainly because of the hype on the forums - but am unsure of a true shipping timeline, and further unsure as to which would be the better choice for my specs - two V4’s or V6s? And what is needed to connect the two, just a canbus? Any additional receivers needed for the remote?

Thanks all

Which size motors would you recommend for a dual motor build and why are there so few dual 63XX builds mounted adjacent to eachother?

I use Caliber II Trucks 180mm

Thanks in advance!

My first build used 6354 mounted adjacent to eachother. Like my profile photo. My motors were Turnigy and the main issue was that they have sizeable holes in which let’s muck in and small stones if you’re unlucky and also don’t use a mesh motor cover. But also, if you use 6374 motors, you may struggle for space to fit them on your trucks, depending on how wide your truck hangars are and where your motor mounts are. If that’s an issue, some place one motor at the back of the board and one placed underneath by rotating one motor mount 180 degrees.

1 Like

I now use 6364 motors on massive trucks so there is plenty of room and it looks nicer to see them together imo

I thought about that!
Are there any disadvantes besides optics when mounting this way?
Do you think dual 6364 will fit a 180mm truck with mounting next to eachother, or will there be intersection probably ?

It depends on thr motor mounts really. Are they attached to the trucks? 6364 motors are 63 mm long from drive shaft to top of the can typically. Theoretically they would but but obviously the mounts won’t be at the very end of the trucks. Best to try and look at the trucks and mount and wheels and see how far apart you can get them without interference and do the maths really. Have you got photos of the tucks and mounts you’ll use?

1 Like

I’ll use dickyho’s mounting kit with standard caliber II trucks 180mm.
No pictures because parts are being shipped :frowning:

Found that online.

Be weary of hangar length vs hanger + axel length. The axel being the skinny rod the wheels sit on.
Best to wait for the trucks to arrive and measure yourself I think.

1 Like

My belt is 11mm. So I can use dual 6355 motors with no worries :)? I’m pretty light (62kg) and I don’t ride steep roads :slight_smile:

How can I get a LiPo battery meter that will display an accurate usable percentage of life left? All the ones I’ve seen and used basically I only ride down to 60-70 before I stop riding. Are there any solutions available that takes that into account?

That should be plenty of power. My dual 6354 setup was lethal, but I used a Hobyking ESC with no throttle ramping so squeese the trigger to the bottom and it would be send you right off the back, and I weigh 75. My motors were 260KV not 190 which is typically used so I had to gear it down to max out at about 26, which you can workout using the Esk8 calculator.

2 Likes

So you completely empty the battery and it says you have 60/70% left?

I used this

And when you set it up, it let’s you chose what voltage range you use so for me, 6s and your battery type. Then it’s reads the battery based on those. Before it would read based off a 10s setup so all readings were incorrect.

11mm belts and dual 6355 should fit depending on which motor and pulley you use.
If you use press fit pulleys or ones with integrated bearings you will need to modify the caliber hangers since the axle is too short to fit everything.

You can use a dremel and slice off a part of the hanger

Or then get an e-caliber truck (same as caliber II but with longer axle, no modification needed)

Mine will be using bolts, so no need of cutting the truck?

If only using bolts then it should work with the normal caliber II truck. You might have to file down the hanger a bit to get the pulley to fit properly but that’s pretty easy to do

1 Like

I’ve read about it online, but I want to make sure before buying:
I can use sensored motors and just don’t plug the sensor into the VESC and instead use this alternative in the Bldc software that is now used often (I forgot the name :frowning: )

Is that true?

You can run sensored motors as sensorless, yes.

You can even do that while the sensors are still plugged in.

1 Like

Since I want to build a dual motor setup now, and I already ordered a motor mount from dickyho (sadly with a 10mm bore, but now I need 8mm bore) does he offer / where can I get a matching motor pulley replacement with the correct bore width?

Should be 5M 15T for a 11mm belt

It’s kind of urgent so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Would this be okay?

Here’s the motor shaft specifications
It’s a d shaft one I suppose

2 things.

How is it that the stock vesc tool after all that time still sets “Mutliple vescs via can” to TRUE, even though nothing is connected. I didn’t even play with that

Second : the Nano remote. Didn’t it usually need to be calibrated after being turned off?

So turn remote on - full throttle - center - full brake - center - turn board on.

exactly that procedure bricks my remote signal. If i calibrate it, my board,metr and the vesc tool won’t register any signal from the remote, even if it is paired successfully.

2 Likes