Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Couldn’t you just increase the temperature threshold like 500c? (Not sure what bug it is)

vesc tool limits the value to 120c :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Unplug motor temp pin from the sensor harness.

1 Like

Would it be the one labeled “T” on my Focbox?

Or buy motors with broken ones :grin:

1 Like

Correct. 2nd pin

2 Likes

What’s the name of the motor pulley that fits this?

1 Like

Is this worth it? 6384 motor. Don’t know if the flipsky motors are as bad as the VESC.
Price is 80€
What’s your oppinion:)?

Do you know if it’s normal that a BMS stays cool during charging? When I charge my battery, at about 90% to full charge my BMS stays cool but the battery charger is too hot to touch. Not sure if BMS is working incorrectly and possibly damaging the charger?

1 Like

What current is your BMS rated for and what do you charge at? Mines rated for 15A and I charge at 15A so mine gets hot.

Why would it get hot?

Charger is doing work, BMS is just passing current through and keeping an eye on things. At the very end the balance resistors may do a bit of heating but otherwise no.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if it is OK to use stainless steel screws to mount the motor instead of alloy steel ones?

12.9 is the recommended grade for motor screws, only because it’s a hardened & tempered grade that’s better for the stress on those screws.
8.8 and 10.9 are good but not as good as 12.9.
18-8 stainless (fairly typical stainless grade) has a lower yield strength than any of these.

2 Likes

Okay, so you’re saying your BMS gets hot also? I have the Bestech D127 and looks the max continuous charging current is at 5A. I use just a standard 42V 2A charger bought from Metroboard.
Link to BMS:
http://www.bestechpower.com/32v10spcmbmspcbforlifepo4batterypack/PCM-D127.html

Ah, okay thanks for the info. I had a previous battery pack using a similiar BMS and towards the end, as you said got warm. The battery pack I have now with a new BMS (same model) doesn’t heat up at all.

Mine does but only because I’m pushing its limits really. Not all Bms’s should get hot, especially when used under the specified charging current limit.

I’ve noticed many chargers to get hot. Where they are producing a constant 2A for potentially hours…

However, if the charger only gets hot at around 90, that could indicate something wrong, as, especially for my BMS, the BMS limits current input to trickle charge, requiring less from the charger, keeping it cool.

My charger is 15A so includes fans that kick in so never gets warm

1 Like

Not getting hot is a good thing. Means your pack is well balanced and doesn’t need to do much work.

2 Likes

You need to be more specific. What’s the diameter of the shaft? What’s the length of the shaft? What do you want to knoww baout it?

1 Like

It depends on your definition of “ok”.

Will it form a spacetime singularity and swallow the earth?
No.

Will it be significantly less strong, and thus possibly fail over time due to stainless steel being a lot softer than high-strength alloy steel?
Yes.

If you’re dead-set on using stainless and you don’t want failures, it is possible to get high-strength stainless fasteners.
They just cost 5-20 times as much as regular steel ones.

6 Likes

Darn, I was really hoping to open a portal with my m4 screws :frowning:

I was just asking because I had stainless on hand, looks like I will be taking a trip to the hardware store.

2 Likes