Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Thank you that makes sense. Well good thing I have literally every set of @RipTideSports bushings available for just this reason. Should be a fun experiment. Also
Now have adjustable BPs so should help with the fine tuning to get it right.

3 Likes

I’ve found some interesting bushing combos that work well. The weirdest on was using a tall bushing road side on an Evo, I was getting slow returns from hard leans and this resolved the issue. Experiment, it helps.

4 Likes

with that budget, i wouldn’t choose an evolve :grin:
look at trampa or go DIY. if you have that bit extra go get a Kaly or Lacroix :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
It’s hard to buy a prebuilt that suits a heavy weight and that isn’t going to fail… evolve boards are not good for heavy weight either, their cells are not good enough.

1 Like

top mounted :stuck_out_tongue:
apart from extra heatsinks or a fan, are there any mods i missed? do some people not use the original case and use something more efficient?

1 Like

I cool my 4.12’s with air.

I printed that “Air catcher” and mounted it through the lid. Additionally i added a mesh to keep most stuff outside. I don’t know when’s the last time i hit 50/60c on my vescs. They average at about 20-35c

If it would start to rain or i ride when its wet i unscrew the air catcher and mount the sealing plate. (it has silicone on the bottom and a D-shaped seal all around that seals the screw holes

7 Likes

TIL these rolls of LEDs (uv/blacklight) should not just be left plugged in for extended periods or the spool it’s on will melt and end up looking like what’s on the top (black mangled spool). Also the heat from the coil of LEDs yellows the coating… So I’ll try to remember not to do that again.

So yah remember to unspool your LEDs or don’t leave the whole thing plugged in as a coil it’s a fire hazard.

7 Likes

it seems to me that many of the diy’ers here started with evolve boards. i have evolve to thank for pushing them into diy because of the bits and pieces under the hood that needed to eventually be replaced or upgraded. that said it doesn’t seem like the best value, when the ownboard knockoffs offer much the same for much less moolah. and if you can stretch your budget to carbon gtr territory, you can afford a hoyt skateboard which will likely last you many more years of service.

i always cringe when people seek recommendations for prebuilts and folks suggest they start with diy. but… i can see the logic now, when you can buy both a meepo 3 and a buildkitboards kit for $1,200 and have cash left over in case you fall into the diy rabbit hole

1 Like

First, would a battery holder with clips like these be appropriate? They’re so stiff i need a screwdriver to pry the batteries out, they’re solid in there. Also, it’s going to be with the 30q batteries in 3p , nothing too crazy.
Secondly, what glues abs really well?

My go-to is to solvent weld it using Acetone slurry. Basically melt some ABS shavings in acetone to make goop, then use that as glue. Or you could just buy some ABS pipe cement from the hardware store.

4 Likes

Hi standard 8mm axels what size nutts is needed?
Is a standard EU size M8 nytt the right type or is the threads a bit different?

Happy riding

1 Like

They’re usually 5/16"-24.

1 Like

I thought about strong velcro for my build! Easily manageable! Sticks to my deck just fine. But I have to wait until my abs enclosure arrives to see how well the velcro tape side sticks to the enclosure.

Tnx but I hade to translate that to metric. :smile:

Translate to M8x 1.25

1 Like

Metric and inch fasteners don’t match exactly, you will likely have problems unless you can get your hands on some freedumb unit nuts.

So simplest ting is to get them from a skate shop?

Anyone here has a good source for learning UART communication with arduino for getting started? :slight_smile:
Especially for VESCs of course

1 Like

That, or any hardware supplier that will ship to you for a reasonable rate. 5/16"-24 is a pretty common inch fastener size.

2 Likes

Before I re do it, the Bluetooth module on this bms works with out a on/off latch/switch on the bms?

you can check https://www.adafruit.com/ they may have something.

You didn’t specifically say dual or single drive, so I will assume single because you wrote “the motor”

With 97mm wheels 15/36 is okay but I’d consider going 16/40 (or 17/40) that way it’s an easy upgrade path if you want to increase wheel size later you can reuse the wheel pulleys and only buy a 15T motor pulley for 15/40. Also 16/40 has more teeth in mesh than 15/36.

“motor amps” and “battery amps” are different things. You can definitely have your settings for 120A motor max and 50A battery max. The motor max will be noticed at lower speeds and at higher speeds the battery max will take over.

For a single drive, go as big as possible. 6374 will work but but a 6380 or a 6396 will be better IF it has a bigger stator and the extra space isn’t just sensors and/or bearings.

For dual drive, 6355 is more than adequate. Even 5065 is fine. 5055 is acceptable but not recommended.

2 Likes