Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

That sounds like a fire recipe

1 Like

Agreed. How do you plan on charging these packs simultaneously? I know it CAN be done. It just will be a lot of extra wiring and management.

@Venom121212 Would I be obligated to charge them at the same time? If so, just means double the charging time?

I was going off of memory from what I saw someone do before, lol

Switching the battery between 12S6P and 6S12P sounds like a recipe for a mistake and a fire. Iā€™m not even sure if it would decrease the theoretical charging time because one would just be twice the voltage and the other would be twice the current ā€” but the same wattage for both max charges.

Wait what? I dont remember talking about different battery packsā€¦ they would both be 12s6p pcb welded 30q packs

1 Like

Yes, using them at different levels would imbalance them. We all know what happens when cells imbalance in single packsā€¦ I can only imagine that would be the risk but in a larger scale.

Theoretically the bms of each pack should balance correctly if maintained well. Iā€™d keep 2 battery meters just in case and fuse both parallel lines in case one pack goes bad. Then youā€™d just drop to 12s6p.

2 Likes

Guess it wouldnt be much of a hassle to parallel charge them? Iā€™d keep the same 4a charger which in theory would mean 9hrs of charging from dead to fullā€¦which will be hard to do. I think my legs will give before I reach that point :joy:

1 Like

Yah if you can make the packs swappable it means they can have time to self balance assuming each one has its own BMS while riding with the already charged one (but easier said than done). Some other threads here go into recharging from a backpack for some extra range but for the super long trips a big battery and plan to recharge it along your path are probably best bets really. The whole trip should take about 6320Wh if you assume 10Wh/km average, so for my 185Wh battery would be about 35 recharges. If I could triple capacity (not too crazy on a long board) then could see 13 recharges.

Any time you hook up cells or batteries in parallel the greater the voltage potential difference the higher the current flow. So always want to be sure they are equal voltage or have some circuitry to limit current (basically BMS does this and a few other things)

You can use 12a and charge in 3 hours, technically faster if you only charge to 4.1v per cell because that last bit takes the longest

2 Likes

Help! A while back I accidentally plugged my switch into the charge port jumper and blew the switch itself. Now when I plug a switch in, the board remains on whether the switch is turned on or not. Is this the fault of the BMS or something else? @TinnieSinker

1 Like

Kaleb leave him alone heā€™s busy :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Where are some places to get AT wheels for 6inch wheels?

I guess more importantly are where do you get the pulley that goes with that size motor? I canā€™t find them online.

Most of the places that sell wheels, also provide matching pulleys. The ones I can think of right off the top of my head are Psychotillerā€™s sixshooters, 3dservisasā€™ FatBoy, and Haggyā€™s Bergmeisters. Thereā€™s also Trampa superstars, but those are designed for 8" tires and larger axles than standard 8mm.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t wanna bother old mate, just tagged in case he has some idea of how to help, and he built the battery so he knows more about it than me

2 Likes

@kalebludlow haha dont listen to him, he just wants me to finish his battery already XD

is there any chance that the wiring is incorrect on the switch and is somehow stuck ā€˜onā€™

does the bms turn off if the switch is not connected?

2 Likes

Busted. :laughing: What bms? Same as mine?

1 Like

Just wondering if this is ok to do for battery swapping- Iā€™m running a 6s4p mainly, but have a spare 10s2p so Iā€™m wondering:
1)Main 6s4p runs dry unplug it
2)plug in 10s2p
3) update voltage cut off in vesc

should still be fine?

Eventually. Small tooth number wear out way faster. Steel last much longer than aluminum if you can find the size you need in steel get that.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer @LR-designs.

I have another one: 2,4 / bluetooth / radio module ā€“ I am pretty confused with what type of remote to use for my DIY? Can anyone help me out and explain which is the best and why?