Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Welcome to DIY :smile:
You could get a 3d printed one if you’re ok with designing one or if not then whatever works.

Figure out how large it needs to be and go to a hardware store and see if they have anything that would work or order one online.

I usually go with:
First you make it work, then you make it pretty

2 Likes

What’s your opinion on how important a hall sensor is? Like how much is the advantage of having it?

1 Like

if youre in the habbit of push starting with your foot as usual, you dont really need them necessarily - theire one more possible point of failure

i went from sensored to unsensored and it made no difference :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@b264 how good of a bond do you think JB weld steel would form between steel inserts and wood from a deck?

1 Like

The bond is great, but the wood might break. The weak part here is the wood itself, around the bond.

I’ve had only one come out, and it was the wood that broke

@Sender knows a lot about this subject

3 Likes

look the only thing stronger than JB Weld Steel’s bond is the bond between Brian and JB Weld Steel :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

idrk know whats wrong with my motor and was wondering if yall had an idea. dont wanna take it apart if theres no need to :slight_smile:
(its the right motor)

IDK about anyone else, but your video…isn’t. It’s showing up as audio only.

2 Likes

o. lemme try and fix that

Does it still make the sound with the belt and wheel off?

1 Like

lmao im stupid. it doesnt :slight_smile:

thank you lol pretty sure the bearings just dirty as sh*t.

I had the same exact sound come out of mine and it turned out so be a piece of electrical tape stuck in my belt :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What’s the max current the following ESCs are capable of? I couldn’t seem to find specs or even mention.

Focbox Unity
ESCape
Focbox

Are there reference docs lying around for these anywhere?

1 Like

hw limits in code are ( if I read things right )

unity, 120 amps
ESCape, hw_60, 120 amps.
focbox, hw_410, 100amps.

so maybe that’s the answer? but what has the real world determined they’re all safe at?

The max unity amps are 120A battery and 80A per motor (160A total motor side)… focbox is similar, 60A battery each and 80A motor… But ultimately it has to do with thermal performance. I think unity can hold 80A per motor for 90 seconds before thermal throttle, focbox less, 40 seconds or something… I think it’s also firmware limited (what vesc allows)… so it’s not 100% set in stone answer…

2 Likes

right, that makes sense. so I guess I’d need real world estimates like you’re quoting. I’m trying to plan out my build(s) and trying to understand the perf of things i’ve ridden. lacroix prototipo pretty quickly has issues hill climbing (10s 70a battery, dual focbox ) lacroix nazare doesn’t. ( 12s 90a battery, unity) the issues the prototipo has I think may just be thermal but idk if it also just can’t deliver enough max amps for my situation. trying to gather data on that.

i have a choice between ESCape and Unity for my custom prototipo build. I’m thinking I won’t have space so it’ll be unity. but space aside that hw_6x of ESCape should perform better. but I guess I don’t really know if it’s got better thermal handling.

Yeah both the 12s and the much bigger heatsink on the Unity is why it performs so much better. I wish I could give you tips on the ESCape but never used one and not read many feedback on it either…

1 Like

my pulleys diddnt arrive yet, but i got to do 2 logged testrides so far - and my consumption only raised by 2-3wh/km compared to the 74a tb110’s - average 16-17wh before, now slightly above 19wh

gearing was 15t/44t and 50ish psi in the tires

considering im still running suboptimal gearing , this is a great success for me because i was so worried about range on these pneumatics :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re missing out on like 1400 watts, or 35% of power. But that’s not those focbox’s fault, it’s the battery’s. Pumping 45-60A through each focbox @ 12S is going to feel just as strong and stronger than that Nazare. I srsly doubt the focbox’s are thermal throttling @ the 35A they are set at now.

I wouldn’t jump on the Unity bandwagon just as its wheels have fallen off. If you are hoping to keep the proto stock or sell it instead of just getting a better battery built for it, (ie, you’re set on getting another ESC) I’d wait for this next round to play out, a lot of them are targeting 80A+.

1 Like

And yet you feel this made sense?

1 Like