Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

The 42V 4A charger that Metroboard sells is very good.

Not sure about 42V 5A, the one I have is used

Need to know ASAP. Do torqueboard motors have make or female bullet connectors? Their pictures show makes but their description shows female lol…

every board and motor I have used has had

male

connectors… I’d bet

male

and I’d bet with whatever the pik shows…

Possible enclosure?

This made no sense

That’s what I use. They’re solid and waterproof

1 Like

Will I destroy the motor with 36V at 170KV?
I mean 170KV is already low, does the motor only support 4100 RPM Max? 36V @170kv would mean 6120 RPM…
How about the wattage with 36V???

Also, is Banana plug another word for the bullet connector that’s found on VESCs?

No.
Do some research on motor kv and what it actually means please.
Motors are dumb and will take whatever you throw at them until they melt. Those are just conservative safety ratings.
Wattage = your battery voltage * how many amps you’re actually pulling or supplying.
Yes. Those are 4mm bullet/banana

2 Likes

Well I already know what that is. I’m just frightened that this would actually fry the motor. And if the power is rated for 24V only @2800W i don’t wanna see if 36V @4320W works or it starts to smoke :confused:

Same for RPM… Could be weird descriptions as usual though just listing 24V data

You think you’re going to be pulling 120A?
It says 36v applicable as well. Plus as I stated, motors are dumb. You can run that motor at 72v as long as you don’t pull too many amps for too long.

RPM correlates directly to the voltage you input and the motor kv so maybe you don’t know everything about motor kv quite yet.

2 Likes

Nowhere near that :slight_smile: (120A)

That’s what I tried to Say :sweat_smile:
Alright, thanks anyway!

This motor has a 5pin hall sensor connector

And this Esc a 6pin sense connector :confused:

How to connect that?

1 Like

The VESC has a pin for a temperature sensor which the motor you linked does not have.
You can leave that pin unconnected but you will need a 6pin connector and need to swap the 5 pin one on the motor.

Below is the pinout for the VESC above, the motor connection is connector 1 in the schematic.

2 Likes

So I guessed right :slight_smile:
Thanks!
Ordering a 6P JST Ph 2.0 connector

Hence you seem to know about this topic, here’s another riddle for you:

The DAVEGA display uses I2c which is 4pin as usual. The I2C/UART connector on 4.12 VESC is 7Pin and on 4.2 VESC it is 6Pin.

So same story as for the hall sensor adjustment, no big deal.

But:
The open source DEVGA is only built by flipsky for quite a time and their only image of the cables is this:

This is more than 4 cables. Sadly it’s a huge mess but It could be a 4Pin and a 6Pin connector for I2c and UART (For USB programming with Ftdi breakout)

If I am counting correctly there exactly 10 Cables coming out

Right?

So I need a Ftdi breakout in order to program the ATMEGA MUC and a 6/7 (depends on VESC) pin connector in which I put the 4 wires

Yep, 4 pins in a 7 pin connector.
If you dont have a ftdi breakout you can also get a arduino uno R3 with a atmega328 and use that to program it and then put that in your os davega.

You can also use a arduino nano if you like since it has all the necessary components onboard, just hook up the display, buttons and uart.

I ported the code to a stellaris tiva-c since I had one laying around:

I have an arduino nano laying around but I need an enclosure since I want to use it when driving :slight_smile:
I really don’t know how to get this cramped in a small box… And which box? I would need to build one which, I guarantee you, would turn out shit if I make it

1 Like