Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

He also said 5A should be enough :slight_smile:

But I can’t find 5A chargers with 2,1mmx5,5mm DC Jack

Pick your poison friend

Details on plug choice in the description down the page

Buying something at a decent price with an integrated percentage indicator will be hard. Very easy to DIY tho.

2 Likes

Poison?

Some say select chargers come with magical smoke more likely to present itself to you.

Me, I’ve had no issues…

3 Likes

@Niklas i can vouch for YZpower so far. I have 10s 5A charger and 12s 7A. Works perfectly

3 Likes

I don’t have a Unity on hand to perform any rigorous tests on, but from all I’ve seen, it has pretty good thermal design.

That said, anything that physically small without an active fan will eventually overheat from even a couple percent losses at that power level.

Luckily, I think you’d be hard pressed to draw even half that maximum number continuously for too long riding on the street. Top speed just doesn’t take that much power, all the demand is in the acceleration.

Granted if you’re building a mountainboard and planning to do some serious shredding you might end up hitting the thermal limits quite a bit sooner.

1 Like

If you’re purely keeping the charger at home - I’d recommend the metal enclosure. If you want to take it on the go or in a backpack, plastic housing is a bit lighter and less bulky.

Technically, the metal enclosure one is a bit better constructed and will have a longer lifespan than the plastic one (based on internals, obviously, not the housing itself) - but chances of that lifespan coming into play for esk8 use is questionable.

YZpower and Wate are highly reputable brands.

1 Like

Same sold 30 of them together with my batteries
No isses whatsoever

4 Likes

Then just sell that to me with the battery if its okay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are bergmeister tires the smallest diameter pneumatics that will fit bergmeister hubs or Janux quattro hubs?

Can anyone recommend a charging port? I prefer to avoid using a xt60/90 connector, i also need it as waterproof as possible. I don’t even know what to start searching for.

2 Likes

Most people use 5.5/2.1mm DC jacks I think.
My current build will be using a high-current XLR connector.
I recommend looking for jacks specced as “panel mount” for ease of installation in enclosures.

2 Likes

GX12, here: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32831408251.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.41de6238jFyMCF&algo_pvid=1c494549-0404-4bbe-9d0a-f031b88a2669&algo_expid=1c494549-0404-4bbe-9d0a-f031b88a2669-17&btsid=0be3743615866205762335177ed7e6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

1 Like

Where can I buy a protective case for a dual esc (plastic)

What’s the difference between those? Is it only the form factor? Which one would you recommend over the other?
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07Z87NM2X/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_c0EKEbEKWSERP

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MMMPNCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_l1EKEbD08J7JR

Flipsky Vesc 4.2 is a newer version and it has a heatsink.

Oh, yeah…
Well… F me then

I cannot give you recommendations, but i can tell you from the start that one is flipsky 4.12 and one is 4.20. these are hardware designs based on the vesc one. I can also note that flipsky doesn’t have the best reputation around here when it comes to customer support, although amazon generally refunds no questions asked if you get a faulty product

2 Likes

I believe on the bench it did something like… 90 seconds or something at 80A per channel before thermal throttle?

:joy: :rofl: :joy:
that’s not a motorcycle! :joy: :rofl: :joy:
it has a lawnmower power plant…

drift trikes are fun… i’ve driven them… but let me put it this way;
you’re on the price is right and Bob Barker gives you the opportunity…

• that drift trike
  • or the equivalent in cold hard cash

I knew you’d see the light

2 Likes