Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

So I guess my old BMS got pissed off that I ordered a new BMS to replace it and decided to go fuck shit up while it could, and now my pack is kinda whack. It started when I charged it up and it stopped at 41.6v. All the cells are around 4.1-4.18v except the last cell is at 4.26v. What should I do? Should the BMS try to fix that or should I discharge the board and then wait until the new smart BMS comes?

2 Likes

If you can, hook up a low-current load like a pc fan or something to the pack until the high group comes down below 4.2v.
And maybe disconnect the bms, idk if Iā€™d trust it anymore.

Iā€™m discharging it with a little 5v 3D printer fan and its taking a little while but its working. Its around 4.246v now so progress is being made.

1 Like

Is that going to need active cooling via a fan?

What is this. Is the normal with no load?

New here, thanks in advance for the help.
Have a 6 month old Raptor 2.1 that is to fast for my ability in r-spec mode and to slow in beginner mode. Donā€™t have anything android. Will Xmatic allow me to make changes to the unity and will it communicate without opening the case to add BT modules or anything else? Have no idea what firmware, or software or underwear I have.

1 Like

Do you have traction control enabled? Also how are you controlling these 2 ESCs via split PPM or CAN?

1 Like

in the Unity app traction control is NOT enabled 1 ESC FOCBOX Unity PPM remote

1 Like

Iā€™d say somethings wrong there but that looks pretty typical of unity BS. Under no load - very little load the unity seems to alternate current from one motor to the other motor using PPM (doesnt happen on UART) if it causes speed wobble but originating from where the motors are positioned then its a problem but I really donā€™t think you can do anything about it.

Edit: how does it feel while youre riding?

1 Like

it feels normal except sometimes while acceleration slow i get this micro braking kind of feeling when i apply more power it goes away. doesnā€™t happen all the time but sometimes. Iā€™ve been riding for a month with out getting that but it came back after a while. I was getting that micro braking with my other Unity as well different motors though.

2 Likes

Sorry man, this problem has plagued the unity for its entire existence and I really donā€™t know how to fix it, maybe try updating to the v5.0FW when its released for the unity? Its such a problem-child of a VESC I donā€™t really trust it as far as I can throw it.

@Deodand I feel like I have to ask because I donā€™t own one to troubleshoot, is this a groundloop on the PPM 5v causing a noisy signal? I know most unity people have experienced the problem and I feel bad not being able to help.

2 Likes

Bumped you up from newbie limits. Welcome!

would that cause a micro braking feeling while slowly accelerating?

damn im getting this tooā€¦ so far i allways blamed the remote but it seems you have the same behaviour :confused:

1 Like

It seems to be pretty random, but it can cause jumps of the servo signal so itā€™ll brake when you accelerate and accelerate when you brake. The top-end of PPM seems completely unaffected so I really couldnā€™t pin it to a noisy 5v rail.

Edit: Youā€™d really have to ask Jeff, I am like a child compared to him.

1 Like

yep thatā€™s exactly what itā€™s doingā€¦not enough to throw you but just enough to make you say ā€œwhoa!! wtf was thatā€ sometimes while long braking i get that skipping feeling in the brakes. just enough so you canā€™t really tell if itā€™s accelerating or skipping.

1 Like

that sucks manā€¦almost makes you scared to accelerate sometimes.

1 Like

im running on thane wheels so far, for me it just feels like stuttering, but i dont fall because of rolling resistanceā€¦ once i hit the throttle its goneā€¦ that made me think that my remote potentiometer is messed up around the center position :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you just feathering the throttle here or pushing it in quite a bit? Is this sensored or sensorless?

There are no ground loops on the unity you would have to make one yourself. PPM is a digital signal so it canā€™t really be affected by ā€œnoiseā€. There is only temporal noise of the micro controller making the signal and this almost always going to be negligible.

If I had to guess it sounds like your motors arenā€™t tracking well at low speed, maybe a poorly calibrated hall sensor. FW 5.0 has a lot of new routines etc. for motor detection so it might fix this.

3 Likes

yep ā€¦same hereā€¦STORMCORE!! where are only you can save us :grin: