Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Thanks @Flasher and @BluPenguin, a new cobalt step bit and some patience got the job done without incident. Once I had the first hole done I felt more at ease and confident. Thanks agin for the input!

2 Likes

Can someone confirm for me that the TB 4.12 vesc and focbox use the identical
DRV8302DCAR

im like 69.100% sure

@JohnnyMeduse

1 Like

i had that issue and it was my motor mount screws rubbing the inside of the wheel pulley

Bit of a dumb move here but whatever. I was testing my esc and wired everything up, just used some electrical tape to keep phase wires apart. When I ran the test, things we’re kinda jittery until I realized the phase wires were shorting between themselves despite the tape; I put some more on to cover everything and ran the tests fine, but should I be worried?

2 Likes

Its the bearing in the metroboard pulley, i tested it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

would a bad phase wire extender cause sparks from a motor during motor detection. what would cause this. ESC FETS are all ok. is there a way to test the extenders. I removed the extenders and no spark motor detection successful. i got the sparks from two different ESCs

If it was individual extended lines of wire, you would get bad inductance and link readings when you’re doing your motor detection, if the phases contact each other while doing motor detection you’ll get sparks. This sounds like 2 or 3 of the phases are contacting each other and creating sparks. If you can remember where they originated from you can probably solve the problem. Be really careful running the detection again, you could lose some MOSFETs or DRVs on the journey.

If you can, test continuity between all 3 of the phases so you know there isn’t an immediate short.

2 Likes

wires touching each other is ruled out, continuity checks out. they were individual extended yes. The spark appeared to be coming from where the motor contacts with the motor mount…not coming from the wires at all. I removed the extenders and setup the motors without sparks and been riding for a few weeks now…it’s just bugging me that i don’t know what was going on.

1 Like

If the motor is brand new then its probably a short on the phases and motor, sometimes the insulation for the little motor wires wear off, or they just don’t give you and insulation and the entire things a short, pretty much a death sentence for a motor unless you want to rewind it.

Edit if you can ride around without the extenders, I really have no idea. Thats the weirdest shit, tried testing continuity between phases and motor/motor mount?

1 Like

that’s one thing i did not do but i did test continuity to see if there was an internal short in the motor…motor housing with the phase wires, also the shaft.

2 Likes

Which color is gnd here?

2 Likes

Brown is ground, yellow is signal.

3 Likes

Cheers bro, i figured it out :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Does deck withness affect affect riding experience?

1 Like

What do you mean?

1 Like

I guess you meant stiffness? If yes, it does affect the ride quite a bit.

No, I mean from heal to toe with, ugh, hope you understand

2 Likes

going from a “flat” pulley to one like this with extended side, i have to move my motor mounts inward on the hangar and/or extend my hangar width (shoulder bolts) to fit them…

i read that the force on the motor axles will increase the further the pulley is distanced from the motor… is this really desirable or should i wait until i find steel pulleys that are not extended ? (@eboardsolutions will stock them eventually)

so my options are ordering aluminium again that will only last 3-4 months and after that get non extended steel, or ordering those steel extended ones, what would you guys do ? :thinking:

edit: not bashing on aluminium pulleys, i think my application is just too much force on them

It’s not just you. Aluminium motor pulleys wear out pretty quick but the wheel pulleys tend to hold a bit longer.

1 Like

in the same time my wheel pulleys barely lost some paint :joy:

1 Like