Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I was riding inbetween classes and noticed my right motor (face up) started to click.

Did one of the magnets come loose?

What size metric hardware (M5, M6, M*) can be used to mount trucks to board?

M5x0.8 is a common replacement.

3 Likes

Is it bad to still ride if one of the magnets is loose?

1 Like

I’ll help you work this out yourself:

magnet loose… what is the best that could happen?
nada tostada

magnet loose… what will probably happen?
magnet, stator core damage, iron filings in motor bearings

magnet loose… what is the worst that could happen?
motor damage, motor lock-up

4 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Dont mess with perfection just let it happen.

2 Likes

Yeah but with metric it means you wont be able to use your skatetool?

How do I keep my motor pulleys from rusting? They are just steel TB 18 tooth pulleys. I rode over a section road that was like a tiny bit moist with water and a little made its way onto my belt and now my motor pulley seems to have the faintest bit of brown spots in the pulley teeth and on the flanges of the pulley. I think its rust because the dirt on some other parts made of aluminum is a lighter brown.

this is likely surface rust. hit it with a wire brush to remove the rust

Jacob it’s considered good etiquette to @Dareno when you talk about them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Nope. Have to carry metric skate tool :crazy_face:

1 Like

Is there any preventative measures I can use to stop it from happening again?

Anyone know how to get this thing off the hanger for these gear drives? Need to put the drives on larger hangers. Thankssss

@3DServisas

Blow torch for at least 2 minutes was how I got mine off

2 Likes

Fuck I had a feeling. Had to do the same for the gears lol. Welp thanks for the confirmation better get to it.

Yeah red loctite is no joke, as is the reading compound. Already dreading when I have to remove a motor

1 Like

Do you know if there are screws in here. If so what size are they ??

Yeah there grub screws in there, that’s what you’re heating up. Make sure to direct heat there as much as possible. They take a 3mm driver I believe

2 Likes

@JoeyZ5
Joe personally I just do my best to keep stuff clean, which it sounds as though you already do, else would have have discovered the issue.
@b264 Brian has much more experience in weatherproofing than I do. Brian any recommendations on protecting gears from surface rust?