Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Yeah, I could see why you think that. I might make some and run different tests, such as max amp draw, max temp and other things of the sort.

The only reason I want to try them is that Iā€™ve seen them work miracles on different types of motors

1 Like

Thereā€™s no aerodynamics here. The mass circulating through cooling air is perfectly round and not very good at moving air through the motor, just spinning it in circles. A fan on one side creates a massive low pressure differential and draws a lot of air through. Moving air for cooling is literally what every industrial motor does and anything that involves cooling ever.

3 Likes

For the record, I didnā€™t start an argument, I was asking for opinionsā€¦

4 Likes

i told you there would be argumentsā€¦

why donā€™t we discuss the Ginger or May-Ann conundrumā€¦
which motor oils is best
race flight over betaflight
cute girls or rich girls

insteadā€¦

Iā€™m already boredā€¦ I run mostly direct-drive, thermal-pasted, statorated motors, twirly fans are bullshit to me, I stated it aboveā€¦ itā€™s my personal opinionā€¦

4 Likes

Agree, twirly fan on a direct drive with minimal vents does not much extra, but a large 80mm squirrel cage fan on a 200+kv motor spinning at a few thousand RPMs is going to draw a significant CFM directly through the stator and magnet gaps, where it is needed the most.

1 Like

You can fix a poor girl, you canā€™t fix an ugly girl

1 Like

pengyā€¦ letā€™s try and answer @JoelM 's ???

he asked ā€œwhatā€™s too hot?ā€
and I answeredā€¦ ā€œwhen itā€™s too hot to handle comfortably itā€™s too HOTā€

do you think that is a fair assessment?

could you perhaps offer the lad numerical aids to answer his question, as to stay at least on the perfiery of topicā€¦???

1 Like

You love using big words, donā€™t you

Iā€™m just really fuking high, honestly

5 Likes

I just laughed my ass off :joy:

1 Like

I think too hot to handle comfortably is a good assessment.

Although I frequently run my motors hot enough to not be able to hold them for more than a few seconds. I think long answer is, depends on what temperature of magnet wire insulation was used, what rating the magnets are before they suffer permanent demagnetization due to heat, etc etc.

Usually motor windings are rated to 180C and up, N42 magnets or equivalent can tolerate up to 80C or more before damage occurs, both of which is way too hot for any person to hold in their hand, yet perfectly okay to run up to those levels.

2 Likes

but we know none if thisā€¦ nothingā€¦
the kid wants to run 50series motors with pneummies

I just told him to be most cautious at starts and stops, and long pulls, and if monitor the cans when he made the swap, when the cans got too hotā€¦ they were too hotā€¦

NON NINJA NON_EDIT:
i donā€™t care

2 Likes

Confucius says: If you see smoke from motor, it is too hot.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good rule of thumb

1 Like

Confucius says: If smoke from tiny motoh, buy bigger motoh!

3 Likes

Re: temperature limits

The magnets will start to degrade around 60-70c, and start to permanently lose their magnetism around 75-85c.

The stator can usually handle 120-180c depending on what type of enamel is on the wire.

The stator will always be hotter than the can, because A, the heat is generated there, and B, ther is less airflow to cool it.

TLDR, if you canā€™t hold your hand on the motor for ten seconds without discomfort, youā€™re getting somewhat near the danger zone.

2 Likes

So I want to create a board. I am not sure what enclosure to use. I want something that is sleek, sexy, and beautiful. Also what motors, etc do you use. This will be my first build but I want it to look good. Any help is welcome, I plan on using a evolve deck or is someone has a cheaper option for a very similar deck that would be great. What do you think the total cost will be?

1 Like

Welcome!

If you plan to use an Evolve deck, eboardsperu.com
has an enclosure for it, if not there are many enclosure options for many decks.

Popular deck choices are the Jet spud/Tayto, but the decks are rare now, and Landyachtz evo.

1 Like

damn, as a first time builder this is super offputting. what the fuck happened? he says connection failureā€¦ but that sounds super general. +1 on how to avoid this sort of thing (or should I just ā€œexpectā€ this as part of esk8ing, as someone else suggests!!!)

Not sure what happened here. All I can say is that the focbox unity he uses is being used by thousands of other without problems. All lacroix boards, kaly boards and bioboards uses them. As well as many on the forums.

1 Like